OK; Were Lead (Pb) Class Rings Ever Made?

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunted a middle school nearby where I have found mostly 20th century coins; couple of silvers and Wheats, but a lot of modern clad and jewelry. Dug this ring which is very heavy and not silver or gold (or magnetic). Its got the shape of a class ring, and "High School" can be just barely read at the bottom of the red stone. The words that could be a high school are really worn, and I can just make out [ock]ton above. I believe the metal is lead. Is this a DSC01530.JPGDSC01531.JPGDSC01533.JPGDSC01535.JPGDSC01536.JPGDSC01538.JPGhigh school ring knock-off, or did they make lead class rings for folks who could not afford silver or gold. My GUESS is its from the 50s. Thanks.

aj

It was probably gilt pot metal originally. It's a tin alloy that would be a little harder than lead but about as conductive.

Upvote 0
Hunted a middle school nearby where I have found mostly 20th century coins; couple of silvers and Wheats, but a lot of modern clad and jewelry. Dug this ring which is very heavy and not silver or gold (or magnetic). Its got the shape of a class ring, and "High School" can be just barely read at the bottom of the red stone. The words that could be a high school are really worn, and I can just make out [ock]ton above. I believe the metal is lead. Is this a View attachment 1151512View attachment 1151513View attachment 1151514View attachment 1151515View attachment 1151516View attachment 1151517high school ring knock-off, or did they make lead class rings for folks who could not afford silver or gold. My GUESS is its from the 50s. Thanks.

aj

Holy Carp!!!! I found the exact same ring two years ago, it was even broken in a similar place.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/437578-ring-id.html
I'm was almost sure the one I found was lead too. I'm very interested in this topic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Holy Carp indeed...I can't believe the similarity! Mine definitely states "High School" on the lower half below the stone. Cannot make out all of the text above.

Charlie P. (NY): would gilt pot metal be as dense as lead? This half ring is very heavy.

aj

Upvote 0
Holy Carp indeed...I can't believe the similarity! Mine definitely states "High School" on the lower half below the stone. Cannot make out all of the text above.

Charlie P. (NY): would gilt pot metal be as dense as lead? This half ring is very heavy.

aj

I guess some pot metal can be very dense too though. The one I found is as dense as lead but has the patina of some kind of pot metal. Probably gilded pot metal, I have to admit though, the one I found feels like lead though :)

I clearly see "High School" on the one I found too, I can not see anything on top though. After handling it more I'm thinking heavy pot metal.
Here's a new photo of the one I found:
20150424_160908.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's mass produced, I found mine in NH.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It was probably gilt pot metal originally. It's a tin alloy that would be a little harder than lead but about as conductive.

I agree and pot metal would not give the wearer lead poisoning.

I am sure the pot metal ring was the last resort for a poor kid whos parents could'nt step up. I never bought mine. Most of the kids where I grew up couldn't afford them so I shined it off

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back