OK, somebodys gotta know what this is (icebox latch)

gtoast99

Jun 28, 2010
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OK, somebody's gotta know what this is (icebox latch)

but I don't have a clue. It looks like the two pieces, the "base" with the holes in it, and the "handle" that used to pivot where the arrow points. It's stuck now of course. On the back is the number 2326 which you can see on the right in the photo. Harder to see in the pic is in the same place but on the left are two letters, looks like "RH" or "KH" perhaps?

I'm dying to know what this is, but haven't a clue where to start!!
Thanks for any input in advance!!!

Attachments

• something1.JPG
    something1.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 283
  • something2.JPG
    something2.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 280
  • something3.JPG
    something3.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 271
Re: OK, somebody's gotta know what this is...

Hmmm could be, having trouble seeing how it would work though.

I added a new picture showing how the "handle" would pivot up and away from the "base". Also, size comparison with a penny.

Upvote 0

I dont know exactly what kind of latch it is but I see a keyhole. The RH stands for "right hand" and LH would stand for "left hand" door or hinge. Soak it in penetrating oil it may break loose. Looks like Eastlake... Sashlock? :dontknow:

Attachments

• Eastlake.jpg
    Eastlake.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 237
Upvote 0

bigcypresshunter said:
I dont know exactly what it is but I see a keyhole. The RH stands for "right hand" and LH would stand for "left hand" door or hinge. Soak it in penetrating oil it may break loose.

That's only half of it, there would be another piece that goes with it. The part sticking out from the lever would catch on the other part to latch the window shut. If thats a keyhole, there was probably a piece inside that would catch the rectangular part on the handle that you can see in the pic of the bottom. I'll do some digging and see if I can find a match.

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken said:
bigcypresshunter said:
I dont know exactly what it is but I see a keyhole. The RH stands for "right hand" and LH would stand for "left hand" door or hinge. Soak it in penetrating oil it may break loose.

That's only half of it, there would be another piece that goes with it. The part sticking out from the lever would catch on the other part to latch the window shut. If thats a keyhole, there was probably a piece inside that would catch the rectangular part on the handle that you can see in the pic of the bottom. I'll do some digging and see if I can find a match.
Yes I also think its a sash window lock.

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken said:
bigcypresshunter said:

Could also be from an icebox latch.

http://houseofantiquehardware.com/s...&partner=gpc&gclid=CKSNo9CduakCFYWK4Aodaii4-Q

Upvote 0

Yes, latch. . . .window, Hooiser Cabinet, ice box, etc. Breezie

Upvote 0

Thanks for the awesome ID!! :D

Upvote 0

gtoast99 said:
Thanks for the awesome ID!! :D
Great ID Ironspike.
Ice box latch seems to fit best. ice box latch w key.jpg

Attachments

• ice box latch RH.jpg
    ice box latch RH.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 119
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back