Ohio River Hunt - Nice Birdpoint

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The river finally dropped down low enough to expose some of my spots that I hunt along the banks so I decided to try my luck. I hit one of my spots that usually produces some nice points but this time I only got one little Birdpoint and a couple of decent scrapers. I'm not sure why, but in this particular spot most of the things we find are very highly polished like they've been in a rock tumbler. This is the only spot that we frequent were the flint is like this. The only thing we can figure is because it is very close to a river dock and they dredge the area at least twice a year and maybe these pieces are being pulled up out of the river and polished by the dredger before being redeposited along the shoreline.

Here's a few pictures. These are of the days finds and a close up of the Birdpoint and the Scraper. You can see how highly polished the Scraper is in the close up picture. It is almost so highly polished that you can just barely make out the chipping along the edges.

Attachments

• New02.jpg
    New02.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 305
  • New03.jpg
    New03.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 303
  • New04.jpg
    New04.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 309
Upvote 0
Steve, nice point but, i kinda want to see a huge archaic bevel or a dove! What is up with that!?
Chuck

Love the river hunts. Nice birdie. (arkie gods will strike me down for saying birdie)
Hey you saw that shell miden do you see lots of that also? We have mounds of it here.
Thanks for sharing nice as always.
TnMtns

TnMountains said:
Love the river hunts. Nice birdie. (arkie gods will strike me down for saying birdie)
Hey you saw that shell miden do you see lots of that also? We have mounds of it here.
Thanks for sharing nice as always.
TnMtns

Thanks, I like river hunts myself.

Our middens are a mixture of shell, pottery, and bone. We don't see just a huge pile of shells, but the middens are full of mussell shells though.

No not all shell also bone, flint and pottery mixed in.Some layers are 15 feet deep and some fields actually have mounds built from them. Some areas are actually named after the shell debri. Many mussels are now extinct from the woodland period. Enjoy your river hunts.
TnMtns

Greg, it looks like it might be black Coshocton. There is just a hint of the bluish lines in it that is common for that type of flint.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back