OFFICIAL RECOEDS SEARCH TIPS

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
i posted some info here or on the recommended reading thread concerning the official records of the war of the rebellion or as mostly known , the O.R. ... i did not think about it when i was posting a few tips on searching these records but this might also help........when there was a battle, the union would record the battle area with one name, most often the Confederates would name it something else, or spell it different.......northerners often used a close geographic feature to name battle sites in their dispatches/records,,,,,,Southerners tended to name them after nearby towns......a few examples of different names for the same battle;;; ..................................;;;;;;;;;........... manassas/bull run,,,,,,,,,,,sharpsburg/antietam,,,,,,,,,,murfreesboro/stones river,,,,,,,,,,shiloh/pitsburg landing,,,,,,,,,,,saylors creek/sailors creek.....and so on................if you just search one name for a battle, you only get the info from one side, ie; 50% of the info available on the battle.......gldhntr

Upvote 0
New to this forum,
I haven't hunted C.W. relics in a long time, I want to get started again. Thanks for the info about the O.R. gldhntr I would never have realized the difference it makes in the search.
May your goody pouch always be full.
HH
SS ;D

yeah i know the feeling shermanville,,, my coed days been over awhile now too.....don't even reminisce bout it any more.................gldhntr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back