Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heres a list I came across, for those who live or might be traveling to the great lakes state, of the detecting status of state parks.
As you can see, a very few are completely open, with the majority either having designated areas, or completely closed.
I was suprised to learn that I had detected a completely closed one last summer ... Just the beach area though. Found a few silver dimes in the sand there, and also noticed an elderly pair out in the water detecting for hours.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607, 7-153-10365_10883-97922--,00.html

Upvote 0
I am from Michigan though I travel a lot along the east coast beaches. It is my undestanding by talking to the DNR that most of the beaches are open to detecting. It's the unimproved areas that are mostly closed and many managers don't even know what the rules are in their own park. If in doubt, ask a manager in the office, not the summer help at the permit booth. Taking your zip-loc bag with all your found trash into the office is a public relations offer that will get you into places normally closed. At least it's worked for me...

HH,
Sandman

What do you guys think of the Infusion LS by Garret, says it will go on land and up to 200 feet deep in water. Any help would be appreciated. Getting ready to buy a detector. Thanks

Sandman, I would say yeah, not likely to get messed with at a beach, but I suppose a technical ranger could have caused problems.
This is Dodge Park I was referring to, and I don't even know the exent of the area beyond the beaches as I have never explored it ... But I know now that if I do, to use caution if considering detecting.

Dodge Park #4 in Waterford is where I used to work for the DNR. Land detecting is off limits, but you can still detect in the water. Stop at the office and ask Alex the manager about where to detect Xraywolf. I know the elderly Pair you saw detecting, they are part of the Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County, MI.

The Infinium LS is a well built detector of the Pulse type. PI's are very deep but most love iron and so you end up digging everything.

8)I copied the whole list off the dnr site-AND,carry it with me...Last year,I was detecting Burt Lake State Park in Indian River,and almost got arrested,because detecting in this park is DEFINITELY not allowed....I didnt know it,until I copied the forms from that web-site...let me tell ya,that list is worth its weight in gold-take my advice-DO NOT detect a park that is listed off-limits.Better yet,copy those lists down-AND,carry them with you-just in case... :-*

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back