✅ SOLVED Oddly colored metallic stone.

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_4068.jpeg

IMG_4069.jpeg

IMG_4070.jpeg

I am sick with Covid, so I went out metal detecting in my yard today because I was very bored. While I was searching, my detector started going crazy. I dug down about 5 inches where it was at, and I found this weird stone-like object. I thought to myself, “this can’t be it,“ however, the detector said otherwise. I brought it to the concrete sidewalk, set it down and put the detector over it, and the detector was going crazy. This is indeed the object I was picking up.

I verified that it’s not magnetic, but it does not feel metal either. However, the detector is still picking it up.

Any idea what this is?

Pot metal(?). Go to an open spot in a tree ring or garden, scan it with your detectors, and if free of metal, lay your mystery piece there and scan again. How did your detector react?

Upvote 0
I think pot metal also.

Upvote 0
OK, I did what you guys said, and put it on a stump and ran the detector over it after I verified there was no metal in the stump. First you need to know that I have a bounty hunter IV. It’s a cheap detector, but it’s what I started with.

According to the manual, on tone discriminate setting, it responded very strongly with a low tone, indicating either gold or nickel according to the manual.

This is indeed what I was picking up.

Anyway, you both could be right about it being a pot metal.

Upvote 0
Thanks for posting your result. It has been awhile since I detected a piece of pot metal - but your description sounds about right.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back