Picture 010.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 470
  • Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 468
  • Picture 024.jpg
    Picture 024.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 461
Looks similar to a meat gambrel they use here in Australia when slaughtering and cutting up a sheep - after you kill the sheep you attach the hind legs to the hoise, lift it up, take the skin off, slit it so you can remove all the innards and offal, place a clean cotton bag over it and hang it overnight. Next morning you'd cut it up.

Upvote 0
Harry_Morant said:
Looks similar to a meat gambrel they use here in Australia when slaughtering and cutting up a sheep - after you kill the sheep you attach the hind legs to the hoise, lift it up, take the skin off, slit it so you can remove all the innards and offal, place a clean cotton bag over it and hang it overnight. Next morning you'd cut it up.

Used here in the States for game as well... deer, etc... Yup, sure could be that. Is there any indication of blood stains on the wood?

Upvote 0
I don't see any evidence of blood . The wood is pretty clean , just dusty .

Upvote 0
The wood looks to thin and decortative to be a gambrel, it would not support the weight of even a small deer when you start pulling and cutting the hide off.

Could be a turning harness for a donkey.... ;D

Upvote 0
Looks like the appliances-I don't know what they were called- that were suspended over bed-ridden patients beds to assist them in sitting up. Way back when.

Upvote 0
The inspired previous answer, with photographic documentation, notwithstanding, I suspect that this may be another calf puller.

Upvote 0
mrs.oroblanco said:
It looks like a carcass hanger to me.

That said - here is the information for Patent 86:

Nicking Bolt and Screw Heads, Patented November 16, 1836. from J.H.Pierson, but it does not match your item. It was a part that had to do with cutting wire into suitable lengths for working with. I can only assume that, if the patent number is correct, someone used the part to make the item you have found.

the top looks cast the bottom hardware seems forged my guess is a homemade game (deer) hanger as well

Upvote 0
Mojjax, could you please take a closer look above the 86 "Patent" as it almost appears to say PIRANAH or something other that PATENT

Tony

Upvote 0
Kinda an update on my earlier reply. The appliance I was trying to find is called a bed trapeze bar or bed pull-up bar and the ones I remember from earlier times were wooden bars very similiar to your item. The only picture I could find is a modern one, but the principal is the same.

Attachments

• bed trapeze bar.jpg
    bed trapeze bar.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 280
Upvote 0
Here's a close-up of the words .

Attachments

• Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 231
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions