Odd South Dakota Quarters

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I generally stop by a neighborhood convenience store twice a day, and today was no different.
Each time I go I pay with cash and let the change pile up in my pockets to go through later. After I got home today and pulled out the change and saw I had 6 new South Dakota Denver mint quarters, but I saw something odd.
Three of the coins look normal, shiny and AU with a nice sandwich visible. But the other three had no visible copper sandwich at all, just nice and silvery.
Is something like this normal, just an oddity of the minting process?

I'll get some up here later this evening. Wife is dragging me out the door to the market now... ;)

could have been inadvertantly struck on silver proof planchets. You'll need the weight to verify that. siegfried schlagrule

I took a very close look at them, and there actually is a copper band on the side, but it's almost microscopic, and rides just below the top edge of the quarter. Imagine a sandwich with a huge piece of bread at the bottom, one piece of ham inside, and then a very thin slice of bread on top. It gives the illusion that the copper is missing, but it's just tiny and not where you'd normally see it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back