Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm completely clueless. Every time I think it's something, there's a good reason why it's not that.

glass 2.jpg

glass 1.jpgglass 3.jpg

Stands 3.75" tall, inner lip diameter is 2.6" wide, outer lip diameter is 3.3" diameter, and base is 2.2" diameter. Space between inner & outer lips are 0.3".

Base inscription appears to read, "Mfg by Smalley Kivlan & Onthank" around "Patd Boston Dec715". The manufacturer also happened to make mason jars.

Does look similar. Is it a safe guess that the embossed date refers to Dec 7, 1915?

Upvote 0
Hey cti4sw,

Thanks for thinking of me in regards to old glass. Your jar appears to be a small capacity product jar. I'm guessing quarter or third of a pint. I would imagine it to be a jelly tumbler.

I believe that the patent is for the wire clamp, and seems to be the intermediate one of 3 patents. The earlier one was "PAT'D FEB 23 09"

The Smalley of SMALLEY, KIVLAN & ONTHAN was Edgar , who was the youngest son of Albert Geary Smalley.

"Smalley Jar Co., Boston, Massachusetts (1906-1907)

Frank Smalley’s younger brother, Edgar, began working for the firm by ca. 1894. Upon the death of the senior Smalley in 1906, Edgar separated from his mother and older brother in A.G. Smalley & Co. – along with John L. Kivlan and Charles F. Onthank; the three formed the Smalley Jar Co.6 Mrs. Smalley and Frank sued Edgar and his two partners over the name and won. The partners then called themselves Smalley, Kivlan & Onthank...

Charles H. Nicholson’s 1904 Patent

Charles Harold Nicholson applied for a patent for a “Jar-Closure” on April 6, 1903. He received Patent No. 748,642 on January 5, 1904. Although the patent was not assigned to Smalley, he apparently purchased the rights to it. The patent drawing showed a simple wire clamp holding a glass lid to the jar, but Smalley adapted the closure to work with the same Lightning clamp as used on his earlier jars (Figure 7). The major change was a “slight annular groove for a packing ring” on the sealing surface and “one small thread on the neck” (Creswick 1987a:194)." http://www.sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/AGSmalley.pdf

victory-lid.jpg

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info, surf! As usual, your posts are very informative and full of details :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the compliment, cti4sw.

You've found some good and unusual glass since I've been in these parts.

That Edgar, man, what a snake, eh.

00235r.jpg

Upvote 0
My experience with "good and unusual glass" comes from this innate ADD trait of ignoring minor obstacles such as briers, foliage, poison ivy, dirt, and other such irritants to get to the hard-to-find places where these items reside ;)

By the way, might you know anything about "The Ferro Phos Co." of Pottstown, PA? It adorns the base of a (former) blob-top (neck is missing) beverage bottle I found yesterday. I think I might start cutting off the broken tops of these and selling them as pencil cups or something, if the embossing is intact. What say you?

ferro 1.jpg
ferro 2.jpg

Upvote 0
Hey cti4sw,

I endorse that idea of cutting down the topless bottles to create tumblers. I've seen it done well, and would spring for some nice embossed historic soda glasses, were I looking for any glassware.

Ferro-Phos. lasted until, at least 1960: SN77080687.jpg http://www.ca-yd.com/textfile/bottles/ACLWEB_F.HTM

11127862_1.jpg The syrup was trade marked in 1905: Official Gazette of the United States Patent Office - United States. Patent Office

They had various tempting flavors, including Orange Crush in 1954: The Hill School - Dial Yearbook (Pottstown, PA), Class of 1954, Pages 266 - 283 +*

Somewhere along the line 7-Up, as well:
Seven%20Up%20Ferro%20Phos.jpg
Soda Used Cork

You can see a circa 1908 photo of the plant here: Around Pottstown -

"Othniel Bleim Lessig, known as "Oats," was born in Pottstown June 8, 1875. Lessig graduated from the Hill School with high honors in 1894 and from Yale University in 1899. Lessig came back to Pottstown where he taught Latin and German at the high school.

When anti-German sentiment during World War I caused the school district to drop German, Lessig became the treasurer of Ferro-Phos, a soft drink company in town that was owned by his father-in-law, Elias Gilbert.

Lessig died Aug. 23, 1944, and is buried in the Pottstown Cemetery."
What happened to the Oneidas?

The company dissolved in 1968, and at that time were located at 161 N CHARLOTTE ST., POTTSTOWN, PA.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
Thanks, Don. That means something coming from you, sir.

267.jpg274.jpg258.jpg

Upvote 0
Surf, you have a talent for research that I can only dream of having. Like a guy flashing simple card tricks for spare change watching Criss Angel and David Copperfield.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back