All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• wise181880.jpg
    wise181880.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 282
  • wise171880b.jpg
    wise171880b.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 256
Very unusual looking caartridge case, don't think I have ever seen one like it. Can you give us some idea of the size of the case? I'm thinking a cartridge for a nail gun depending on the size. Odd ball looking blank cartridges were used to drive large nails or spikes into concrete or vary hard wood. Just a guess? Monty

Upvote 0
I'm with Monty. I don't think it's a cartridge case for a weapon. If it is, it's not like any I've ever seen. The "head" is the part that really makes me think it's not a shell casing. Can you describe what it looks like inside?

Upvote 0
I believe it is a shell case. But I looked through my library of cartridge books and haven't found it yet. I think it is an experimental cartridge that wasn't successful. And that would make it a rare one! I recommend you look for a cartridge collector to examine it and help in your research....someone who knows more about old cartridges than me!

Upvote 0
Monty said:
Very unusual looking caartridge case, don't think I have ever seen one like it. Can you give us some idea of the size of the case? I'm thinking a cartridge for a nail gun depending on the size. Odd ball looking blank cartridges were used to drive large nails or spikes into concrete or vary hard wood. Just a guess? Monty

Monty...I agree its unusual, I;ve never seen a casing like it, nail gun was one thing I thought of as well...the casing is 1 1/2 inches long and 1/4 wide. Showed it to a friend of mine who is really into shooting and knowledgeable about guns and he also said it might be a nail gun cartridge, but he also said he thought he could smell black powder in the casing (?? I didn;t ask how he could still smell it... ;D) and that the 80 may mean it was loaded with 80 grains of blackpowder, about all he could say for sure is that he thought it was old and with the square firing pin imprint on the primer, he thought it also might be out a rolling block firearm and possibly a foreign caliber.

Upvote 0
junkdigger said:
I believe it is a shell case. But I looked through my library of cartridge books and haven't found it yet. I think it is an experimental cartridge that wasn't successful. And that would make it a rare one! I recommend you look for a cartridge collector to examine it and help in your research....someone who knows more about old cartridges than me!

JD...thanks for that. It very well could be an experimental cartridge, Billy Hill used to live here and he worked for and did demo shooting for Remington Arms years ago and it may be something he had???

Upvote 0
Old Dog said:
I am a shooter of black powder, and if that case is 1 1/2 inches long trust me it won't hold 80 grains of black powder. Maybe 50 grains ... not 80.

OD

Thanks for that OD, guess that rules out the 80 being for 80 grains.

Upvote 0
Maybe the 80 refers to the weapon model that used the cartridge.
Experimental weapon with experimental ammunition????

all of these kind of numbers on all of my ammunition refer to the caliber or model of weapon they come from.

OD

Upvote 0
Old Dog said:
Maybe the 80 refers to the weapon model that used the cartridge.
Experimental weapon with experimental ammunition????

all of these kind of numbers on all of my ammunition refer to the caliber or model of weapon they come from.

OD

Old Dog...that has always been what I thought...the numbers referred to the claiber etc...but have never heard of 1718 80 and nothing shows when I google it....a mystery.... ???

Upvote 0
DigEmAll said:
Cannon Fuse/Primer, J.B. Wise & Co. Inc., Watertown, New York.

Digemall...thanks for that...now that is something I NEVER would have guessed...any idea on the age and for what type of cannon??

Upvote 0
JB Wise came around in the late 1890's or early 1900's. If I had to guess I would say the towed howitzers or cannon from WWI or II. There isn't a lot of info out there on Mr. Wise. I couldn't evern find what the 1718-80 designation was for.

The way I figured it out was by finding an identified cannon fuse/primer that was labeled "WISE 1718-50" but that's all the info.

Upvote 0
DigEmAll said:
JB Wise came around in the late 1890's or early 1900's. If I had to guess I would say the towed howitzers or cannon from WWI or II. There isn't a lot of info out there on Mr. Wise. I couldn't evern find what the 1718-80 designation was for.

The way I figured it out was by finding an identified cannon fuse/primer that was labeled "WISE 1718-50" but that's all the info.

DigemAll....well thanks much for the info. The Army and some Navy were stationed here on the island during WWII and had gun emplacements around the island and it could have come from one of those. I appreciate the research and info!!! ;)

Upvote 0
Way to go Digemall,

I was going to say that I have some chain ammo that is numbered as to sequence in the chain but that isn't applicable. I like to go through the boxes and dig out the ones that have a 50 on them just because they are 50 cal. LOL

not that there would ever be a question about that LOL.

OD

Upvote 0
I've never seen a cannon fuse, so I think that's probably it! Way to go. Monty

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back