Octagon Token

Sc14fan

Oct 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all!!! I found this token other day at an old homesite and was curious if anyone could help me figure out what it was. Its says: 25, W & CO....has a hole in the top. I cant see anything on the back. Thanks for any help.

ForumRunner_20121025_073703.png

That is quite likely a tool check used where a business (W & Co.) provided their workers with certain tools that needed to be turned back in at the end of their use. For instance, an employee would go to the tool shack and say he needed a left-handed monkey wrench. The toolkeeper would have numbers on each tool and a board with hooks representing each employee. When he handed over the tool, he would take the tag representing the wrench and hang it on the nail for that employee. When the wrench came back, the tag would go off the employee's nail. If the wrench didn't come back, the company would know to ding which employee for the cost of the tool.

Other uses might be as an identification system in underground mines. When employee #25 would head underground for his shift, he would take the tag corresponding to his number from the paymaster and put it in his pocket or hang it around his neck. That way, supervision could tell at a glance to the employee board which employees were underground. In the case of a cave-in or disaster, this would be necessary. And, in the worst case, would help in identifying the victims.

There are a lot of similar uses for this type of tag, but the above are representative. Depending on your area, the use would vary.

John in the Great 208

Upvote 0
Thank you for the great info. That makes a lot of sense. I really appreciate it!!!

Upvote 0
The key will be to figure out who W & Co. is. That will help decide what it was used for. It could also be a baggage tag, claim check, or hotel room key fob.

Upvote 0
Wow!!! You are very knowledgable. Thanks for all your help.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back