Ocean liner charm, or military ship?

marble

Mar 10, 2007
This silver charm was in an old tin I checked out at a flea market. The detail is amazing, from the three smokestacks to the tiny portholes on the side. I'm almost certain that it is a depiction of an ocean liner, because it looks line the S.S. Liberté that my family and I crossed the ocean on in 1961. My question is about the mark on the side. It looks like it says PPLo.

Does anyone have any ideas what PPLo could mean, or more info about the type of ship this looks like? I'd love to get a date on this item.

Thanks!

-Nancy

Attachments

• shipcharm.JPG
    shipcharm.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 352
  • shipcharm1.JPG
    shipcharm1.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 351
daroofa, I never did thank you for your last post with the date information. I'm finally getting around to listing this one, so THANKS!!!

-Nancy

Upvote 1
Just tidying up some blasts from the past (including some very ancient ones), largely for the benefit of anyone searching the site for information.

Cool find, but not from 1909. Payton Pepper & Co. were in business until c.1997 and became a Limited Company in 1895 after which they began switching their mark from PPCo to PPLD (with a small upper case D). What you’re seeing as “PPLo” wil be that later mark, and you’re mistaking the small ‘D’ for an ‘o’. Also, the ‘K’ date letter is upper case (1909 would be lower case) and it looks to be the date letter style for 1959. The listing below for a similar item hallmarked for 1963 suggests it’s a Cunard souvenir for the liner RMS Queen Mary. I think that’s correct and the dates for both examples is consistent with the ship’s operation between 1936-1967 (primarily on the transatlantic run):

Queen Mary.jpg

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/142...how_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_details

Queen Mary2.jpg

Credit: RMS_Queen_Mary_Long_Beach_January_2011.jpg: David Jones from Isle of Wight, United Kingdomderivative work: Altair78 (talk) - RMS_Queen_Mary_Long_Beach_January_2011.jpg, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=12833732

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back