OBSIDIAN

Saguache

Jan 12, 2019
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Living in the southwest offers many types of lithics for artifacts and obsidian glass has to be the most prolific. Found in the largest deposits in North America, from northern Mexico thru Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Nevada, Oregon, California, Montana & Idaho. It's produced when felsic lava extruded from a volcano cools rapidly with minimal crystal growth.
I've been fortunate enough to gather some nice examples, like a baseball size chunk from Bandelier NM [my dad worked next door at Los Alamos & brought it home] to these small points [not all are ob] and a larger marekanite nodual [known to be the best quality/purest/hardest obsidian] like the 2.5" hammerstone from the Mule Ck area of SW New Mexico.
If you've got some nice examples post 'em up for folks to see, it's a pretty special material.

DSC06502.JPG

DSC06500.JPG
Puebloean/Mogollon [anasazi is not the
correct native american name for the time period]

DSC06501.JPG
Other lithic materials/tools from 12th century NMex
including a pottery polishing stone

DSC06507.JPG
A fine 2"+ uniface from the central eastern
dry lakes area of California

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ever hear of synthetic obsidian? The Hanford Nuclear Plant in WA experimented with making synthetic obsidian to encase nuclear waste. I obtained a couple of pieces from a former worked at the plant. I'll look around and see if I can find them. Stored here somewhere. Gary

Ever hear of synthetic obsidian? The Hanford Nuclear Plant in WA experimented with making synthetic obsidian to encase nuclear waste. I obtained a couple of pieces from a former worked at the plant. I'll look around and see if I can find them. Stored here somewhere. Gary

I googled it and found some info, it's also being made for jewelry stones. Also found some rainbow obsidian that I'd not seen before.

I was with artifact Jack when he found this Elko made from tri flow obsidian N. Eastern California

Attachments

• P2210510.JPG
    P2210510.JPG
    212.6 KB · Views: 63
I googled it and found some info, it's also being made for jewelry stones. Also found some rainbow obsidian that I'd not seen before.

...the rainbow obsidian comes from over around Davis Creek, CA. You can permit dig it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back