Now its getting crowded!

miester

May 21, 2005
Wi
Now it's getting crowded!

I used to detect alone, then my dog insisted on going, this morn. at 5 am. my wife says lets go to L.Michigan and check the beach! There just might be another M.D.er' in the picture, About half the time she was swinging the thing. Well company is nice, with 2 digging and 1 swingin you can cover some ground.Did'nt find any goodies but for an interesting outing. I found out what the headphones are for, can't hear a thing over the crashing waves. Tried the ace in the water and the thing just goes nuts, even on the fisrt notch, I could'nt isolate a target in the water at all. Any experts out there with an ace 250 in shallow water? Heres what we snagged today, me, my wife and my faithful dog Fugit.

Attachments

• 7-14.jpg
    7-14.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 591
Upvote 0
Re: Now it's getting crowded!

Hehe sounds like you had a good outing, never tried my ace in the water yet. The only thing I can tell you is don't go out too far, from reading other posts on the ace one good splash and kiss your ACE goodbye! Stay knee deep if you can.

Good one, ya it seems that thru the years I've kissed my ace goodby more than once.

Nice finds!

Where are you at?

I'm close to lake MI too, and hunt some of the beaches a few times a year myself ;D

HH

Lonewolfe

I also went out to Lake Michingan, tonight. Down in the Suburbs N of Chicago though.

Was gorgeous out there with a breeze coming in off the lake, the waves rolling in.... It was so loud from the waves that I couldn't hear the threshold on my detector. I wish I had a camera with me as the waves were leaving an interesting pattern on the shore. The waves would cut accross, from North to South, leaving shallow ridges in the sand and a curve to the top of the shoreline. Then, going out on a 90 degree angle to where they came in, again leaving little ridges in the sand. That would leave a cross hatch pattern on the shore. Was kind of cool.

I didn't stay out in the water much, as I almost got knocked on my *** a few times. The slope to the beach was cut kind of steep by the waves and with the sand getting washed out from under my feet, it was tough to stay upright. I did find a quarter and a dime before I figured it was too risky for me and the detector to keep it up.

The beach wasn't all that crowded, compared to a few nights ago when I was out there. I covered about 100yrds of the sand before it got too dark to see what I was picking up.

I didn't find much either, but it wasn't a bad evening. I had a couple frustrating times out there. Would find a target that the XLT would say was less than 1.5". I would pinpoint and start digging. After digging about an 8" diameter hole, I found nothing on each occasion. I would then get down and dig away with the scoop, going down about 6" to the base under the sand. On one occasion, I dug around till I hit a metal plate about 4" from where I had pinpointed my target. Incidentally, I was getting some sort of reading that I had never had before. It didn't stay on the display long enough to read. I think it was some sort of overload indicator or something. Anyways, after exposing about a foot of this metal plate, I found that it was joined to another plate. I then looked down a line with it and saw, several yards away, that it came up above the sand, here and there. It seemed to be some sort of retaining wall that extended the full length of the shoreline. I have detected this beach, further up, several times before and never encountered this before. The other frustration was, also, readings in the good solid area, items that indicated as coins, (can't remember which) at shallow (1.5" or less) depth. After scooping out holes down to the base and about 8" around, I found, again, offset from the target area, beer cans, or, in one case, a tuna can, burried under about 6" of sand.

Asside from those, the beaches seemed relatively clean. Very few pull tabs but Lots of decent beer caps. I have taken to collecting those. Want to find a way to preserve and display them.

Among my finds tonight were, (recalling from the top of my head)

1 large, hand hammered black ear ring
20 Bottle Caps
11 Pennies
1 Nickel
10 Dimes
8 Quarters (about 4 were state quarters)
1 1965 Quarter (missed by 1 year)
1 1944 Wheatie Penny

For those XLT users out there, I was finding Pennies around +67 to about +73. Dimes around +80, Quarters around +85. I don't remember where the nickel came in but usually i find those around the same VDIs as Foil or Pull Tabs. Usually pass over them thinking they are junk. Don't remember what the ear ring IDed at. I want to say that the 1965 Quarter IDed low for a quarter. I think around the same as the pennies. Looking at it from the side, there does seem to be a thick layer of copper in it???.

I also found a small, assortment of the normal foil (gum wrappers, snack food or juice tops...) and a, remarkably, few pull tabs.

Will post a picture tomorrow

Sounds like a good time and battery money is always a good thing! HH, Mike

Lake Michigan is always a great place to hunt. With all the tourists, they are constantly dropping stuff.

lonewolfe said:
Nice finds!

Where are you at?

I'm close to lake MI too, and hunt some of the beaches a few times a year myself ;D

HH

Lonewolfe
In Wi. near Port Washington, where are you?

Wmas, I noticed that ridge thing you were talkin about, the wind was from the north and the waves were coming in at an x-treme angle. Also found several old steel beer cans, the kind that required a church key, I'll bet there are some on this forum that wonder what a church key is. If they were still required to open a beer we would'nt even know what a pull tab was. I went about a mile on the beach and there were trash barrels all along the way, Ticks me off when some people are to lazy to use the barrels, and wherever theres a rock you'll find broken glass. Probably kids, that always was a spot for underage drinking looks like it still is, come to think of it maybe some of those old steel beer cans were mine, there were no barrels back then. ;D

I posted these elsewhere but noticed that I mentioned them here as well. These are pictures of some of my finds from along Lake Michigan last night.

050714-NGilson-640.jpg

050714-NGilson-Earing-640.jpg

Clads not bad.WTG!!!

trust me miester, having your wife detect with you will open up lots of new opportunites, take it from someone whose wife detects with him
hh
dave+bobbie

Dave-enc,--- I think your right, I have a dozen good sites I want to work but I just hate to ask if I can from landowners. My wife on the other hand will ask anyone anything, I'm glad she's gettin the bug for MD'S, she can ask, I'll just smile.

MIESTER. MY DAUGHTER AND SONINLAW JUST BOUGHT A SUMMER PLACE ON LAKE MICHIGAN.THERE IN SOUTH HAVEN WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED ME MY WIFE &MOLLY WERE OUT THERE 3 WEEKS AGO. I FOUND ALL CLAD ALSO.THATS STILL COOL.
BUD

miester said:
lonewolfe said:
Nice finds!

Where are you at?

HH

Lonewolfe
? ? ? ? In Wi. near Port Washington, where are you?

I'm on the "other side" of the big pond! ;D

West MI area,

HH

Lonewolfe

Have relatives on that side, been there many times, I think it's nicer over there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back