Nothing Can Stop The U.S. Air Force!

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This schoolyard chunker was not up in the wild blue yonder, rather, it was out in the tame green lawn. It rang up a sweet, solid 89-90 VDI on the ATPro, but I have been fooled before when two clad quarters were in the same hole, so I didn't get too excited. But when I saw "bubba" in the plug, I got a smile on my mug! It is a USAF ring marked, "sterling," inside and weighs 12.2 grams.

First thing I noticed was that the gem was missing from the bezel. So, like any good digger, I frantically searched the hole and plug for the gem. But a glint of red caught my eye, INSIDE of the ring. Sure enough, a gemstone was peeking back at me from the dirt encrusted inside of the ring, so I just placed it in the treasure bag and went on digging.

Upon inspection at home, I soon discovered that the large, rectangular "gem" inside of the ring did not fit, nor match the oval shape of the bezel...hmm...:icon_scratch:...but then I saw traces of rubber cement on both the inside of the ring and the gem. So the mini-mystery was solved. Someone had "replaced" the original oval stone with a large rectangular one, glued on underneath the bezel!

Other goodies included a filigreed bling pendant, a sports or dog whistle with some serious patina, and a cool Boy Scout token. The brass Boy Scout token is the size of a silver dollar. This is the second big Scout token that I have dug so far, both with different styles and wording. Thanks for looking, happy hunting to all and HYDRATE! Sub8-)

Attachments

• usaf1.JPG
    usaf1.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 128
  • usaf2.JPG
    usaf2.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 123
  • usaf3.JPG
    usaf3.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 120
  • usaf4.JPG
    usaf4.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 122
  • usaf5.JPG
    usaf5.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 117
  • usaf6.JPG
    usaf6.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 124
  • usaf8.JPG
    usaf8.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 114
  • usaf9.JPG
    usaf9.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 111
  • usaf10.JPG
    usaf10.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 111
  • usaf11.JPG
    usaf11.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Upvote 18
Congrats on the nice AF ring and other finds.

Nice ring! That's a cool looking whistle! Congrats!

Nice ring! That's a cool looking whistle! Congrats!

Thank you MSBB, I am not sure if it is a dog whistle or a referee's whistle. It works (after a good cleaning,) and the pitch is clearly and loudly audible to me (humans) so....maybe it is for training dogs? That smokey patina is intriguing, as it is not marked sterling, but is marked "Hong Kong," so it is at least 15 years old? :dontknow: Sub

Cool ring, and nice the stone was still there!

Nice post, enjoyed the read. You killed it today :headbang: ditto on the "HYDRATE!". Drank four ice cold bottles of water during my 4 hour hunt today.

slammer ring and I like the boyscout token!

fantastic stuff you found today!!

Cool looking ring, over all great hunt

DANG THERE SUB . THAT RING IS A NICE FIND AND TO HAVE FOUND THE STONE INSET THATS EVEN BETTER , COOL .

That's a lot of silver in one ring, Sweet find!!

Interesting hunt and ring. We all could use a coin like that, one for good turns! Nice hunt Subterranean.
HH

Love the sterling ring, must have some age to it being sterling marked... any date?

Yea! for the USAF ring! That's a chunk of silver for sure, but I have a feeling the gem is something special too. If you can get it checked out, give us a comment. I am really curios about that deep red color and the way it is cut.
Best of Luck,
Phil

Great hunt story there with the ring and love that token too !! :occasion14:

Nice post, enjoyed the read. You killed it today :headbang: ditto on the "HYDRATE!". Drank four ice cold bottles of water during my 4 hour hunt today.

Every stitch of clothing that I was wearing on this afternoon hunt was saturated. But if you are expected to work (firefighting for me) in the heat, you better be able to play in it too! Sub 8-)

Interesting hunt and ring. We all could use a coin like that, one for good turns! Nice hunt Subterranean.
HH

I couldn't agree with you more, Tnmountains, I think every kid should get a token like this one and strive to achieve its simple creed. Sub 8-)

Congrats on the half ounce silver ring! I really like the square stone in the round hole with rubber cement "quick fix"! Priceless.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back