dugupfinds

Attachments

• front.JPG
    front.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 473
  • back.JPG
    back.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 465
Niagara Falls looks right to me....looks like one of those tourist ships near the falls on the spoon.

Neat find

FUnkman

Upvote 0
I just vacationed at the falls last year and I remember he video about the history of the falls and there was an indian maiden that went over the falls and her spirit roams it or something like that.

Funkman

Upvote 0
Here you go..

Wenolah, daughter of the Seneca Chief, was doomed to be sacrificed because she spurned the Medicine Man, but she was the chief's only daughter. The canoe was positioned above the Niagara Falls and about to go over the falls, when her father rushed out to save her, but they both perished. The bowl contains a picture of the Niagara Falls.

Check this URL, scroll down a bit and it shows your spoon.

http://www.geocities.com/RodeoDrive/6232/indiancon.html

Nice find!

Upvote 0
Jeff G said:
Here you go..

Wenolah, daughter of the Seneca Chief, was doomed to be sacrificed because she spurned the Medicine Man, but she was the chief's only daughter. The canoe was positioned above the Niagara Falls and about to go over the falls, when her father rushed out to save her, but they both perished. The bowl contains a picture of the Niagara Falls.

Check this URL, scroll down a bit and it shows your spoon.

http://www.geocities.com/RodeoDrive/6232/indiancon.html

Nice find!

Great info - thanks.

Its not my spoon but its a closer match than I could find. Well done!

Upvote 0
indian maiden that went over the falls

Is this why they call that tour boat "The Maiden of the Mist"?

DCMatt

Maid of the Mist

Whatever... The question still stands. Is the boat named for the legend?

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Yep...that is why it is called Maid of the Mist...and please don't say "whatever" unless you are a 14 year old petulant girl! ;D

Upvote 0
Check ebay item # 250099088334

This one is very close but not exactly yours. It is described by the seller as "old". Oh yeah, that helps, doesn't it?

Most spoons I saw like yours date from 1890 - 1910.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Another name for her is Lelawala. She is the maid of the mist.

Have been to Niagara Falls many many times and each year the souveniers get a new look. Can honestly say haven't seen ANYTHING to commemorate Lelawala and we have been visiting Niag. falls since the late 70's.

It almost seems to have that dreamy romance feel to it. Perhaps art deco era?

Sorry, did you find a match to be able to date it?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back