Not treasure, but what is it?

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; White's Classic 1 SL with Blue Max 8000 disc, Garrett Pro-pointer; White's Bulls eye II pin pointer;
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this sticking out of an old tree. In just curious about what it is, is used for, and why is it sticking out of the tree?

I know that the tree grew around it because it was stabbed into the tree. Why would that item be stabbed into the tree.

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

image-1482740868.jpg

I've seen things like this before. It was probably sitting there or was nailed into the tree and when the tree got bigger it grew over it so it looks like it was stuck. I use to go to an old property that had two oak trees in the middle of no where and they were pretty far apart had randonly had about 2 ft of chain just sticking out about chest high. People would place them in position when the trees are small and when it would grow they would get stuck and look like it was growing out of trees.......something like this is also used as markers maybe for a treasure so I would look around. I used a metal detector when I found mine and there was no treasure :(

Upvote 0
It's at an Indian Heritage Preserve I'm helping maintain, no digging allowed. I just mow, haul off dead wood, and pick up surface trash.

Upvote 0
Can u at least metal detect but not dig? I know that sounds stupid dumb but at least it might answer some unknown questions.

Upvote 0
I agree that it looks like a shelf bracket. It could have been nailed to the tree to hang something on.

Upvote 0
It is lodged in an odd angle. Maybe a hurricane blew it into it. Stranger things have happened.
120308_henryville29_bs.jpg

Here is a photo of the shelf bracket they are referring to-
00533.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If its a Maple Tree then they used it for a Bucket to catch the Mayple Syrup , But I agree it looks like a L bracket...

Upvote 0
The tree grew around it probably, don't think it could have been hammered into the tree without bending it, just get a hacksaw and cut off what is protruding out, I remember seeing a picture with an old tricycle grown into a tree. What remains in the tree won't hurt the tree.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone, that answers my curiosity. About how long does it take a tree to do that, I wonder?

The tree is huge and otherwise healthy. I'm not going to mess with it, it's not my property and it's not hurting the tree.

I just got curious. I guess I've been reading too much about told rail marks. It probably held a lantern or something.

Upvote 0
Not a maple. It's one of those big southern oaks I think (relocated Yankee here).

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back