Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello All

Some time academic is their own self rightness copy each other in assumptions or cognitive bias. Many so called authors on treasure claim there is not such thing as treasure maps. And treasure maps was a concept invented by Robert Louie Stevenson.

Both are totally incorrect assumptions. While it is true they are not common. And there way more fake than real maps out there. There is examples I have posted before of maps leading to treasure. However academics chose conviently to ignore that that for fear of being ridiculed by their peers.

The following case in question. A treasure hunter used his fathers hand drawn map to find buried silver. 80 years after his Polish Family buried it in a remote forest while fleeing WW2 invasion.

To be continued

Crow

Last edited:
A stash of priceless treasure buried by a fleeing family during the WW2 has been unearthed almost 80 years later by the new generation of decendants.

The Glazewski family buried their silver and fled their estate in eastern Poland in September 1939 ahead of the advancing Soviet army, as their country was carved up between the Nazis and Stalin's regime. here is picture of the four brothers in a reunion in 1964.

s9 4 borthers 1964.JPG

The family scattered, with the four sons starting lives in different corners of the world - but the legend of the family treasure was never forgotten by the Glazewski family.

Here is a picture of their property before the 1939 invasion.

s8.JPG

The head of the family, Adam, stayed at the estate near Lviv - today part of Ukraine in 1939 to face the Russians, who threw him off his land, and nearly executed him before his staff intervened. Here is a picture below of him.

s11.JPG

Memory of the buried treasure was not forgotten in the family. Mr Glazewski, 69, said: 'My father was getting old and I kind of nagged him, I said, "please draw me a map – one day I might be able to go to the estate and look for it".

For many years it was not possible. but here was the map below.

s1.JPG

To be continued.....

Crow

Jan Glazewski, 69 said his father gave me that map in 1989, accompanied by some instructions, and he drew it from memory 50 years after he had left.'Jan added: 'The last sentence of these instructions said you must find our silver and my hunting guns.

Jan said And when I read that, it was like a directive, and I got very emotional that I've got to fulfil this dream.' Gustaw, who had settled in South Africa after fighting for the allies in the Second World War, died in 1991.

Now, 80 years later, the hoard has been rediscovered by Adam's grandson, Jan, using a treasure map drawn by his own father, Gustaw.

That same year Ukraine gained its independence, but it was another ten years before Jan made his first visit to the former family estate.And it was only in 2019 that he began his search.

s7.JPG

It seemed an 'almost impossible task'.

To be continued.....

Crow

Mr Glazewski, a retired professor of environmental law at the University of Cape Town, said: 'It was a needle in a haystack situation.

'On this map, he drew where the original manor house was – it was destroyed by the Russians, by the way, but we found the foundations. here is a picture of cellar below.
s12.JPG

s13.JPG

'But then there was a dotted line going across a cultivated field – today it's just bush – it's about 100 metres you had to walk, and then down a slope.

'And then his instructions said "where the forest starts, you must dig for our silver".

to be continued.

Crow

And, of course, 80 years later, which is when I was there, one doesn't know whether the forest has receded or come up the slope.'There was also the possibility that the hoard had already been salvaged.

Jan said: 'I thought "look, this is a bit of a wild goose chase".'The people who worked there would've seen that all of the silver was removed, they would have put two and two together.

'They would have gone down the slope and found it.'Assisted by his niece, Layla, and two Ukrainian metal detectorists, they beat the odds.

Jan instinctively felt that his father and uncles wouldn't have gone too far down the slope, where it became steeper and more overgrown.The metal detector proved he was right, coming to life over the treasure.

s2.JPG

'I was very, very emotional,' he said.

Some of the items had been packed by Jan's mother, who had passed away when he was just seven years old, and who had fled alongside Gustaw.

He said: 'One of the things we pulled out was a jewellery box and inside were all kinds of trinkets.
'And my niece said "those were probably packed by your mother; that's your mother's jewellery".

s3.JPG

s4.JPG

'So here I was, touching stuff that she had packed away 80 years previously. So it was a very emotional thing for me.'
s16.JPG

s17.JPG

There was even a Christening spoon engraved with his father's name, and numerous artefacts bearing the initials of his grandmother, who died of Spanish Flu in 1918.

s15.JPG

s14.JPG

s5.JPG

The retired academic has been told the hoard is worth thousands of dollars.

There can be no challenge on the ownership of the treasure because one of spoons are engraved with the family name on it.

s5.JPG

Here is the engraved spoon below.

s6.JPG

So you see some times treasure maps can be real.

Crow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back