Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very little time so I decided to try quickie walk.

I knew this spot was a bit of a trash trap. So I wasn't expecting much and that's pretty much what I got.

Thing is... I did turn up quite a few pulltabs and can slaw. But I knew one section has always had many, many corroded zincolns. It was a pocket spill from awhile ago! Kinda hard to pick out any better signals from the bits of pennies. I managed to isolate just one good signal in all the bad.

I cleared one small section of zincolns and low and behold, a tiny silver showed up.

IMG_20231212_194355.jpg
IMG_20231212_194432.jpg

So, not much today but looks like I can finish the year with at least one more silver. Made it a very enjoyable albeit hard work and shorty hunt.

Anyone familiar with the pattern? Supposed to represent a crucifix? :icon_scratch:

In any case, thanks for peeking!

Upvote 32
Very little time so I decided to try quickie walk.

I knew this spot was a bit of a trash trap. So I wasn't expecting much and that's pretty much what I got.

Thing is... I did turn up quite a few pulltabs and can slaw. But I knew one section has always had many, many corroded zincolns. It was a pocket spill from awhile ago! Kinda hard to pick out any better signals from the bits of pennies. I managed to isolate just one good signal in all the bad.

I cleared one small section of zincolns and low and behold, a tiny silver showed up.

View attachment 2120080View attachment 2120081
So, not much today but looks like I can finish the year with at least one more silver. Made it a very enjoyable albeit hard work and shorty hunt.

Anyone familiar with the pattern? Supposed to represent a crucifix? :icon_scratch:

In any case, thanks for peeking!
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Nice finds. Looks like a St. Brigid's cross.
I knew I should've paid more attention in History class! ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ๐Ÿ˜

I believe you are spot on!

Are you a formal teacher ? If so, I have a side question for you.

In any case, thank you very much!

I knew I should've paid more attention in History class! ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ๐Ÿ˜

I believe you are spot on!

Are you a formal teacher ? If so, I have a side question for you.

In any case, thank you very much!
Still a teacher. Probably have ten more years to go.

Still a teacher. Probably have ten more years to go.
I've often wondered why schools never seem to augment their history classes by having a field trip where students could have use of a metal detector?

It's one thing to read about history but how powerful would it be, for a student to actually dig up relics from some historic event?

Of course I could be wrong and it might already be happening. If so....then.....nevermind. ๐Ÿ˜

I've often wondered why schools never seem to augment their history classes by having a field trip where students could have use of a metal detector?

It's one thing to read about history but how powerful would it be, for a student to actually dig up relics from some historic event?

Of course I could be wrong and it might already be happening. If so....then.....nevermind. ๐Ÿ˜
This is a great question. I agree 110%. I am a newbie to detecting and have detected only my own yard in Georgia (found half a horse shoe) and a 100yo house permission in Springfield, MO that was so rocky and filled with metal that I realized that I have a whole lot to learn about detecting.

The quick answer:
1. Numbers. Public school teachers often teach 100-150 students. A field trip like this would be best with small numbers. I teach private, but even so, have 70 students.
2. Lack of support. I am sure it is no surprise to anyone on here that professional historians/archeologists don't like metal detectorists. They see it as a destructive, non-scientific enterprise akin to grave robbing. On the other hand administrators have no clue what I am talking about.

But it could still be done, and that is what I am working toward.

My goal in this last stage of my career has been to establish a history club that focuses on relics/artifacts. I have always used relics/artifacts in class, and my personal collection from yard sales/estate sales continues to grow. My last school didn't like the idea of a history club. I am about to pitch it at my new school.

I am open to any advice/suggestions.

On the other hand, this teacher is pretty awesome:

This is a great question. I agree 110%. I am a newbie to detecting and have detected only my own yard in Georgia (found half a horse shoe) and a 100yo house permission in Springfield, MO that was so rocky and filled with metal that I realized that I have a whole lot to learn about detecting.

The quick answer:
1. Numbers. Public school teachers often teach 100-150 students. A field trip like this would be best with small numbers. I teach private, but even so, have 70 students.
2. Lack of support. I am sure it is no surprise to anyone on here that professional historians/archeologists don't like metal detectorists. They see it as a destructive, non-scientific enterprise akin to grave robbing. On the other hand administrators have no clue what I am talking about.

My goal in this last stage of my career has been to establish a history club that focuses on relics/artifacts. I have always used relics/artifacts in class, and my personal collection from yard sales/estate sales continues to grow. My last school didn't like the idea of a history club. I am about to pitch it at my new school.

HT - Thanks for what you do!

Before pandemic I did a Civil War presentation to the 4th graders at my local school. 4th grade is when Virginia schools first expose students to Civil War history. I got a copy of the test and made each question into talking points. It's a good review for the kids just before testing. I start dressed as a Virginia farmer to briefly discuss the slavery issue and pre-war events, then transition to a soldier (I'm a Civil War reenactor). We march into the 1st battle of Manassas, move quickly to the surrender at Appomattox, then finish with a discussion of the creation of the state of West Virginia and a few post-war issues. I always bring a couple of Riker boxes of CW relics for the kids to handle. It's fun with learning mixed in.

Of course it all stopped in '20 with COVID. After the holidays I hope to be in touch with the school principal to see if they are still interested in the presentation.

The quick answer:

Great points!

Let me attempt to address them in order.

1:

In my day, we would go on field trips with the whole class or grade. 30-90 kids. Do they still do that? As far as detector resources, would only need a few detectors. Split up into groups. Run the detectors without headphones so everyone could hear the signals.

Another idea would be to contact some of the detecting clubs in the area. I imagine that many of them would be thrilled to host a field trip. Even take it to a private farm or some such and that way club members could team up and demonstrate that evidence that "stale old information in history books", is still present! TODAY!!

2:
While it is true that *some* archeologists look down their snout at us "grave robbers"! They would never admit that it was because a lowly, average, hobby, detectorist brought a relic into the sunlight. A true, historical, archeological dig was born! ๐Ÿ˜

Still, not *all* are against what we do. Any decent detecting club could also clear some of that muddy water as well. Prejudice....in *ANY* form is *still* non-productive!

I just feel that if I had, had history not only "taught" to me when I was coming up. But, also had it *shown* to me in a real, hands on approach. I might would have *been* an archeologist!

Just a bug in my mind as to why these things seem to not occur to the current educational system! Sure! Take me to a museum where I can see history that's been preserved for me to "look but don't touch". But, tell me the story of Paul Revere's ride and then have me dig up something from it, right in my little hands! To me? A very powerful lesson!! Its not just a story at that point, it *really* happened! And....right here!!!

Hope you find some success!

Great points!

Let me attempt to address them in order.

1:

In my day, we would go on field trips with the whole class or grade. 30-90 kids. Do they still do that? As far as detector resources, would only need a few detectors. Split up into groups. Run the detectors without headphones so everyone could hear the signals.

Another idea would be to contact some of the detecting clubs in the area. I imagine that many of them would be thrilled to host a field trip. Even take it to a private farm or some such and that way club members could team up and demonstrate that evidence that "stale old information in history books", is still present! TODAY!!

2:
While it is true that *some* archeologists look down their snout at us "grave robbers"! They would never admit that it was because a lowly, average, hobby, detectorist brought a relic into the sunlight. A true, historical, archeological dig was born! ๐Ÿ˜

Still, not *all* are against what we do. Any decent detecting club could also clear some of that muddy water as well. Prejudice....in *ANY* form is *still* non-productive!

I just feel that if I had, had history not only "taught" to me when I was coming up. But, also had it *shown* to me in a real, hands on approach. I might would have *been* an archeologist!

Just a bug in my mind as to why these things seem to not occur to the current educational system! Sure! Take me to a museum where I can see history that's been preserved for me to "look but don't touch". But, tell me the story of Paul Revere's ride and then have me dig up something from it, right in my little hands! To me? A very powerful lesson!! Its not just a story at that point, it *really* happened! And....right here!!!

Hope you find some success!
My club had an arrangement with a Boy Scout camp a few years ago. Our plan was to plant relics in a large field and, after a short instruction class on how to use the detectors, let the scouts detect in small groups . That way they are nearly assured of finding something to give that "thrill of the hunt" that we all love in this hobby. Sadly, COVID killed that plan. Hopefully we'll get back to that soon. Maybe next summer...

My kids are in college now but when they were in grade school, I chaperoned a few field trips. We went to colonial Williamsburg, The National Portrait Museum (downtown DC), Medieval Times dinner, Museum of African American History, and a nature walk at a local park to name a few. I don't think the county does any of those anymore. One reason they give is the high cost of insurance. There is also the potential liability ($$$$$$) if anything were to happen to a student while off campus. It's all about the money...

My club had an arrangement with a Boy Scout camp a few years ago. Our plan was to plant relics in a large field and, after a short instruction class on how to use the detectors, let the scouts detect in small groups . That way they are nearly assured of finding something to give that "thrill of the hunt" that we all love in this hobby. Sadly, COVID killed that plan. Hopefully we'll get back to that soon. Maybe next summer...

My kids are in college now but when they were in grade school, I chaperoned a few field trips. We went to colonial Williamsburg, The National Portrait Museum (downtown DC), Medieval Times dinner, Museum of African American History, and a nature walk at a local park to name a few. I don't think the county does any of those anymore. One reason they give is the high cost of insurance. There is also the potential liability ($$$$$$) if anything were to happen to a student while off campus. It's all about the money...
Yep...all about the almighty buck. I'm surprised they still teach from books! After all.....some poor student might suffer a fatal paper cut! :dontknow:

That is so great that you present to 4th graders. Class visits make a real difference and are much more memorable than a regular day at school. I really like your idea of seeding a field to give them some taste of success (and practice). I hope you get a chance to do it.

Covid really stopped schools doing field trips and now they are not back into the habit. I regularly take a group of students to Kennesaw Mtn near me, but have been lucky to take trips to Italy, DC, Normandy, Belgium, LA, and NYC. Field trips were almost my best memories from school so I like to get students out into the history or get it into their hands.

WHADIFIND: You are right on both points. I wanted to become an underwater archeologist after seeing a news report about Mel Fisher. Then I saw Jaws. So I teach history and just have to deal with a different type of shark.

I will definitely look around for a detecting club near me. I hadn't really thought of that. They could be a real resource.

That is so great that you present to 4th graders. Class visits make a real difference and are much more memorable than a regular day at school. I really like your idea of seeding a field to give them some taste of success (and practice). I hope you get a chance to do it.

Covid really stopped schools doing field trips and now they are not back into the habit. I regularly take a group of students to Kennesaw Mtn near me, but have been lucky to take trips to Italy, DC, Normandy, Belgium, LA, and NYC. Field trips were almost my best memories from school so I like to get students out into the history or get it into their hands.

WHADIFIND: You are right on both points. I wanted to become an underwater archeologist after seeing a news report about Mel Fisher. Then I saw Jaws. So I teach history and just have to deal with a different type of shark.

I will definitely look around for a detecting club near me. I hadn't really thought of that. They could be a real resource.

Having a seeded hunt is a great way to ensure finding something. I completely agree!

But, can you imagine? Field trip to a historic, (nonseeded), place? And a student happens to turn up a ring? Inscribed with.....

" Happy 4th of July to Martha from George - 1776"

๐Ÿคฉ

I know...stretching a bit but still....what a powerful memory that would make!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back