Not a coin, but still a treasure to see

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
I have seen this little visitor several times out in the front yard snacking on the flowers. Every time I have seen it, I thought it was a hummingbird, but he wouldn't fly away like a hummingbird would when you get too close. I grabbed the camera and snapped several pics. This was the best one due to how dang fast this little guy could move. Very large for a moth and very neat to catch in action. He must have a tounge 6 inches long, you can see it in the picture.

moth.jpg

Upvote 0
I think that is what we call a dragonfly down here? Sure looks like it from the picture.

Looks like a Half-Hornet/ Half Dragonfly.

Could be a Horny-Fly.

;) :) :D ;D

Gribnitz,
That looks like a tobacco sphinx moth. The tomato hornworm is the catepillar. I saw a picture that said its scientific name is "Manduca Sexta"
Mdort

mdart said:
Gribnitz,
That looks like a tobacco sphinx moth. The tomato hornworm is the catepillar. I saw a picture that said its scientific name is "Manduca Sexta"
Mdort

Yup, thats it. I find a lot of the big green catepillars on my tomatoes. They will eat a plant to nothing in a couple days. Cool moth they make though. Thanks !

I have seen them zipping around here too...but never got a chance to see one pose for a pic! :D Awesome! Now I know what they look like!

Thanks Grib!

:o

EhhheeeWWWW, gives me the hebbee jeebies and makes me say 'how damn cool is that!' at the same time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back