Nossa Senhora da Atalaia do Pinheiro, 1647

Cablava

May 24, 2005
Nossa Senhora da Atalaia do Pinheiro left Goa with Sant?ssimo Sacramento on 20 February 1647, and wrecked a week after the loss of Sacramento, a victim of the same storm. The survivors of her wreck met those of Sacramento and marched together to today?s Maputo. Atalaia's wreck site was located in 1978 by Dr. Bell Cross, director of the East London Museum. Eighteen guns were found on the underwater site (ten bronze and eight iron guns), together with many porcelain shards, Martaban jars and other pottery remains. The remains of a camp were found on the beach in front of the wreck site, 25 m above the tidal zone. Both sites have produced abundant cultural materials which are now housed in the East London Museum

Cablava,
Just scrolled through and read all of these fascinating maritime histories. Thanks for posting them. It just lets us know that there are still ships out there.

grizzly bare

So many around the world, all those bar one were thought to be Portuguese, very few Portuguese Indiamen have been found.

This forum tends to stick to the US and South America for obvious reasons, but there really are so many else where.

Treasure is also in many forms, I recently spoke to the head man of an old fishing village here in China, He told tales and showed me the location where the rich Kuomintang Chinese boarded boats from the beach when the communist forced them out of China. There was much overloading and many valuables were thrown overboard to lighten the load and space. Of course some of this was recovered by locals, but some in the deeper water is probably still there. The beach would be a great place for a metal detector but there are non here in China, I am trying to find out the legalities of it and maybe do some beach work. I live at the beach and the area I am talking about is about 1 mile of beach where these boats were loaded right outside my window.

Outside of the legalities there would be another problem if I found anything how do you dig up something covertly when any new idea or gadget attracts about 100 Chinese for an audience, non of who will get board before you do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back