North Carolina gold

I am new to this site, are there any good panning locations in North Carolina?

Hi Korbin99,

Welcome to TreasureNet.

North Carolina has an abundance of gold and gems and there are plenty of good panning locations.
It's just hard to find good public locations other than pay to pan sites. Do a google search on gold panning locations in North Carolina and you should find plenty to keep you busy.

The best way however, is to join a local prospecting club and you will have access to a lot more property as well as plenty of advice from the members.

Best Wishes,
GG~

Thanks GG. Have been to a couple of the pay to pan sites, but haven't found any public sites yet.

Thanks GG. Have been to a couple of the pay to pan sites, but haven't found any public sites yet.

State forests and local parks that have creek access can usually be panned as long as you use a trowel and not a shovel. Check with the rangers to see if a permit is needed.

GG~

Korbin,

First, welcome to the site!

As for North Carolina, you bet there is gold here. I live down in the Salisbury/Concord area. The gold we have here can be found all over the place, especially this side of the piedmont. I would suggest doing a little research into the history of NC gold if you haven't yet. After all, the first gold in North America was discovered here.

The best public area I have heard of around my area is the Yadkin river, accessed through the Uwharrie national forest. I know I am spelling that wrong, but I should be close. Just make sure to check with the park rangers first.

If you are ever out towards Concord area, the local GPAA chapter is actually held there. They were previously located in Matthews, NC.

A bit further south of the Salisbury/Concord area you have Gold Hill and New London. I have been out to New London a few times at both of the pay to pan sites there. The first is Cotton Patch, which is a decent modernized pay to pan site. A little ways down the street is Mountain Creek gold mine, which is a more rustic old fashion style. The guy that runs Mountain Creek is super friendly and will help you get started if you are new.

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask!

Here in North Carolina, steer clear of all state parks, its banned in 100% of them. finding a place to pan is more of a what area, then find a pay to play, join a club, National forrest, sometimes city and county parks, public recreational access, private property with owners permission.

Hey korbin,
I have my sights set on the Uwharrie National Forrest this spring.
This place has river rocks stranded hundreds of feet above any existing river,
that means placer gold country my friend.
I don't do those pay to play locations unless i have a dredge... which I don't.

I don't care where you filled your bucket of dirt (just remember where you dug it up, just in case)
You can run it through the sluice and pan it out.

I will deal with "Johnny law man and the Forrest Circus Folk"
You just have to keep those buckets coming.

Craig

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back