Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm from North Carolina and live in the Raleigh-Durham area. After getting gold bitten on a trip to Alaska I want to go panning here at home and have done some research about gold in North Carolina. I know there are several likely areas in the state but most of them are too far away for day trips or weekends. I'm wondering if of y'all know (and are willing to share) any likely panning spots in my area or in the Sandhills (the area near Fort Bragg/Southern Pines) that are accessible by the public.

Also, what are some good resources for learning about gold panning (what to look for, river currents, rock formations, etc.) to get me pointed in the right direction. My only experience so far is to scoop sand from the bottoms of water drop-offs or eddies and pan that. So far, no love there.

I'm not looking to find gold for any particular value; I'm more interested in panning for fun, learning something new, getting some exercise outside, and to show my grand-children another fun thing to do.

Upvote 0
2011_0422Mttohuntdeer4th0015.JPG
Dont know if Cotton Patch gold mine is open.But its not to far from you.I made it a day trip from my location in VA.
>> Cotton Patch Gold Mine & Campground2011_0422Mttohuntdeer4th0017.JPG Its worth a call.2011_0422Mttohuntdeer4th0011.JPG
Panning area.2011_0422Mttohuntdeer4th0031.JPG sluice area2011_0422Mttohuntdeer4th0006.JPG open pit.2011_0422Mttohuntdeer4th0020.JPG classified buckets of material 'to go'.2011_0422Mttohuntdeer4th0028.JPG2011_0422Mttohuntdeer4th0021.JPG

Last edited:
Head the Uwharrie National Forest. Bring LOTS of water this time of year, tick repellent, basic panning setup (low flow sluice will work in some places), and someone that is good at spotting snakes. Watch out for baby cotton mouths, they are the ones that will kill ya.

Hello, Stringtyer. I'm next door to you in Durham. Got the gold bug pretty bad, but have had a lot of other things going on the past 12 months. I don't know of many panning in the sandhills, but I know of several diving in the Black River for Civil War artifacts and Megalodon teeth. The best panning nearby would be in the NC Slate Belt, which is as nearby as Hillsborough. There's also a NC East Slate Belt, but I don't believe too much as been pulled from there. If my life slows down a bit I'll get back in the game. I quite literally have enough mining gear for a small commercial operation.

In your wanderings, I would love to find and try a black sand beach in N.C. I have a daughter who lives in Dunn (Fayettville) so I got a place to stay ;) All I can find out is that there are black sand stretches on NC beaches. Anyone know where?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back