NON DUG ITEM,Help I.D.?

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these bullion style wings and can NOT id them...the picture i post may not be very good,approx.2.5in.long,bullion,Black felt white gauze type back w/yellow/gold stiching.
It look's to be British but in the same sense it look's like some axis cap badge/collar?...SVL in circle,TERRIBLE PICTURES I KNOW,Got to find out how to download pics w/WINDOWS 8,PC Camera sux!!!

ANY HELP will be greatly appreciated...HAPPY HUNTING ALL!!!

Attachments

• DSCI3444.JPG
    DSCI3444.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCI3446.JPG
    DSCI3446.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCI3449.JPG
    DSCI3449.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Just to confirm, the letters on the patch are V C L? And can you describe what the design is just under the C and the L?

Upvote 0
what looks to be a C is an S...it is a winged circle w/those letters in it,starting(?) w/the S V L V at the top...that help? I'm trying to get better pics...

Upvote 0
This patch just does not compute. Can't find anything on it at all yet, but I'm still looking.
Right!?! i can NOT find a thing,ran through military abbreviation,bullion patch search,etc.some i've seen are similar but NOT the same..not even sure if it's WW1,2,Earlier but the quest WILL continue.Thank you mirage83!!! I should have better pics this week...HAPPY HUNTING!

Upvote 0
The way the S is smashed looking it actually looks like a 5 so if you were to turn the piece over it looks 75 over an inverted V although I do realize that changes the orientation of the wings.Interesting piece quite a puzzler though.

Upvote 0
I'm still looking but my initial impression was that it is a set of pilot wings similar to these. I'm not sure if they would be military or civilian. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• image-2803252772.jpg
    image-2803252772.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 92
Upvote 0
Also, it's still a little difficult for my aging eyes to see your pictures clearly, but I think u have a US Navy uniform patch from WWII era. All naval vessels are identified by a letter and number combination. If your patch has the letters cvl that means it belonged to an aircraft carrier pilot or crew member. CV denotes aircraft carrier and the L stood for light. Good luck and nice find! Follow link for more info. http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/shusn-no/cv-no.htm

Upvote 0
Also, it's still a little difficult for my aging eyes to see your pictures clearly, but I think u have a US Navy uniform patch from WWII era. All naval vessels are identified by a letter and number combination. If your patch has the letters cvl that means it belonged to an aircraft carrier pilot or crew member. CV denotes aircraft carrier and the L stood for light. Good luck and nice find! Follow link for more info. USN Ships - by Hull Number: CV - Aircraft Carriers
Thank you,It's more likely VSL somebody else mentioned a C thinking the S was a C. myself, i was in the U.S.N. from 75 to 81,I was told by a military aviation museum that they were most likely civilian,In what capacity is not known at this time,Although they did say they were old,I personally think they are either theatre(ww1-2)made,Custom made rate of some kind...The search continue's! Again thank you for looking!!!

Upvote 0
I thought it might be "Venture Scout Leader" ad the letters are now clearly "VSL" with your new photos. However, I can find no matches, and this doesn't look like a scouting patch anyway.

In the acronym database, it lists an "antisubmarine warfare squadron" and "US Navy carrier airborne fixed wing surveillance/ASW aircraft designator" as hits for the abbreviation "VS." I think your patch probably lies somewhere along that route, but again, I can find no match.

Upvote 0
Very good possibility it might not be a U.S. related patch could be European in origin.:icon_scratch:

Upvote 0
I thought it could have been "Volume of Sacred Law (VSL)" in freemasonry :dontknow: But, the patch doesn't look like a freemasonry patch (I guess, cause I haven't seen them all though)

Upvote 0
newer pics...

Here a few new pics i posted of some wings i have...This is an old post BUT maybe the right person(s) did NOT see it,So now i'll post these as i'd LOVE to find out what they are...EARLY COMMERCIAL AIR LINER was the best answer i got&good leads but nothing to solve this!!! HAPPY HUNTING ALL!!!

Approx.2in.Long,BULLION(wire) felt backing,white gauze&yellow stiching!!!

Attachments

• DSCI9945.JPG
    DSCI9945.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCI9947.JPG
    DSCI9947.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCI9948.JPG
    DSCI9948.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCI9954.JPG
    DSCI9954.JPG