no luck at old home site

JC dig's

Jul 10, 2007
Culpeper,Va
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x / whites xlt / garret ace250
I got permission to hunt an old house site today. However, I can't seem to weed out the trashy signals from good ones. I know there is good stuff here its only 4 miles from the town of Culpeper in Va. I did find one bullet though (yay!). I followed an old road, I'm told it was a main travel route during the CW the ruts are about a foot or so deep. Does anybody have any pointers for a new guy.....

Upvote 0
dig it all........see what happens

When you say old house site....is the house gone? If you can pinpoint where the home sat, don't detect directly on the house site ....usually filled in with everything trashy......
What type of trash are you digging....is it newer trash or old trash? Iron ,rusty junk? Start around the perimeter of the lot , look over any embankments for bottle dumps, where they washed their clothes and hung them up. Find the main walk route to the house and detect along their as well as any shrubs,trees flowers that were planted....like roses,lilacs,apple trees....
Do along the ruts .
When was the last time someone lived there? That can help in determining the type of trash you might dig? If the area has no buildings now, look for indication of sheds, smokehouse,henhouse,privvy,rock fences,coral,barns..... well,pump or water source.Is there a stream ,creek or river close....find the closest route from house area to water.

If you have discrimination on your machine, discriminate iron out...then detect the area only looking for solid silver,brass etc hits.....see if that helps to begin with.
I would dig it all if it was me because well... I like rusty old relics.....but if you don't have the time to thoroughly keep hunting this place then do the discrimination elimination first.......

Some places are just plain covered in trash, or should I say junque. You just to either dig or give up. I have found many like that and it does get fustrating, but hang in there and start looking in key places around the area.

I wish i could help you JC. I went to an old house site once and had the same problem. All i can say is keep going back. And i would go for big ole trees for sure and dig every signal you get around around those old trees. I always seem to have succes around big old trees. I also find that when i am almost about to give up, a real nice signal appears. Many times, while just swinging my coil, while walking to my vehicle, to wrap it up and go home, i found the neatest stuff. Also, sometimes, when i am not finding anything, and i start thinking, this is going to be a waste of time, i am not going to find anything, i will indeed, not find anything. What i am trying to say is try to keep a positive attitude and you will start finding interesting stuff. If it works for me, it certainly will work for you. Keep digging :)

Thanks for the advise. The house is gone no evidence whats so ever other than flowers that bloom every year. The guy that owns the property drove me around on a golf cart and showed me all of the stuff you are talking about (well, old road, and various old land marks). But I did just what you said I started digging right where the house was. LOTS OF JUNK. At least I was getting signals. I can't wait to go back he gave me an open invite. I know I'm lucky to have this place to hunt I won't give up........

Welcome from the UK.

Keep Sensitivity as high as the ground will allow. Descrimination just below Iron. Dig everything & clear that rubbish. You will be rewarded.

Cover all the ground, missing none. Use stick markers if you have to. I use a flag at each end & a couple of sticks in the middle to line up with.

Thats a good idea. I have some landscape marker flags left over from my dogs invisible fence I think I will take those and grid the area off.

I have the same problems. An old homesite (at least 1877), house long gone, lots and lots o' trash ! I know where the cistern is and the root cellar, but have no clue where the house was. I can only take an educated guess, but still haven't found anything good there. Lots of old iron farm tools, canning lids, and general junque. Not a single coin or even a button :( But I know they have to be in there.

Hey JC,
Lots of good advice, but I think they missed the obvious. What machine
are you using? If you have everything set up correctly on your machine,
you might want to crank up the discrimination and "cherry pick"
the place. If you make some good finds in a certain area, lower the discrimination
and start to work the area out. Sometimes if you get into a very trashy site,
and you run low discrimination and dig everything, it can get a little discouraging.
It's amazing how the determination level goes up a notch or two after you find
a piece of silver or two.

HH Slabman

Go VERY slow. ;)

Good luck on your return! Nana :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back