no clue...

Shady Digger

Jun 21, 2007
Cool Ridge, WV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
also found this at the old coal camp yesterday. at first i thought it to be a thimble, but then i saw the 'Good House Keeping Bureau' stamp of approval on one side of it. the other is hard to decipher, but i make out something like 'Laymon's. Distributed by World's Products Co. Spencer Ind. Made in USA.' i really don't know what it could be. inside it is hollow, it is just flattened out.

Attachments

• DSCN1405.JPG
    DSCN1405.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 520
  • DSCN1411.JPG
    DSCN1411.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 524
  • DSCN1412.JPG
    DSCN1412.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 523
hmm, thats interesting. now i'm trying to piece together how this could go with that ??? good research tho :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
Redneckin Rookie said:
hmm, thats interesting. now i'm trying to piece together how this could go with that ??? good research tho :icon_thumright:
Laymans made other medications besides aspirin.
I wonder if its some kind of lip balm.

Attachments

• laymans.jpg
    laymans.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 505
Upvote 0
A search reveals that Laymans made aspirins, asperline, laxatives, Quinine, face powder, mouth wash, liquid corn remover, and band aids amoung probably many other items.

Upvote 0
It looks like those things that they used to put on the end of curtain rods, so that your curtains wouldn't tangle up on them when you were putting them on - I have a few from my mother - but, don't know if anything is written on them.

You would put them on the end of the white valance curtain rods so that your curtains would slide on easily, and then you took them back off.

I'm looking for a picture.

Beth

Upvote 0
I'm sure I've seen one of those. Sold or gave it to a friend. I'll see if I can arrange a pic.

If I'm correct, it is a slide on cap for a small capsule-shaped sewing kit.

Cheers, Mike

Edit: I've requested a pic and any indication of markings - I'll let you know, once received.

Upvote 0
Thanks for using that word - thimble.

It is a curtain rod thimble. Advertised in 1911 Good Housekeeping, (made by Kirschner). There are several different types, but, you will get the idea. And, they are Good Housekeeping Bureau approved. :)

Page 132

http://books.google.com/books?id=Y1...gBMAk#v=onepage&q=curtain rod thimble&f=false

page 44

http://books.google.com/books?id=tS...AEwBg#v=onepage&q=curtain rod thimble&f=false

The ones I have are not square ended - but, exactly like the picture you posted.

Beth

Upvote 0
awesome! thanks Beth. :hello2: and by the way, i love your avatar pic! i've always wanted one of those dogs. hopefully i will get one someday

Upvote 0
mrs.oroblanco said:
Thanks for using that word - thimble.

It is a curtain rod thimble. Advertised in 1911 Good Housekeeping, (made by Kirschner).
There are several different types, but, you will get the idea. And, they are Good Housekeeping Bureau approved. :)

Beth
Beth. Did Laymans make curtain rod thimbles along with medicines? Did I miss it? Id be more inclined to think Laymans manufactured lipstick or lip balm.

laymans aspirin.jpglaymans aspirline.jpglaymans corn remover.jpg

Upvote 0
trikikiwi said:
I'm sure I've seen one of those. Sold or gave it to a friend. I'll see if I can arrange a pic.

If I'm correct, it is a slide on cap for a small capsule-shaped sewing kit.

Cheers, Mike

Edit: I've requested a pic and any indication of markings - I'll let you know, once received.

I heard from my friend - I was wrong.

Mike

Upvote 0
bigcypress,

I honestly don't know. The only thing I'm sure of is that the one company did. (and, I don't really know if someone made them for them, so, it could be).

When I was looking around for a picture, I see many folks were looking for them - like their mother's used, and I've seen several places that offer them WITH rods, but I have no idea who actually made the tips.

Beth

Upvote 0
One thing we know for sure is the logo is Layman's, a company that makes medicines mostly. I see the green check is posted but Im not positive on the ID. Layman's is the starting point to research. I tried googling Laymans curtain thimble but so far I cannot find any connection between Laymans and curtain items.. But I guess here the consensus wins until it can be proven otherwise. ;D

Upvote 0
thinking -- a only a part of a pocket sized rubber or cork topped copper / brass tube of aspirins -- makes it easy to carry without crushing em

Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
thinking -- a only a part of a pocket sized rubber or cork topped copper / brass tube of aspirins -- makes it easy to carry without crushing em
Thats my feeling as well brass tube. Aspirin, lip balm, inhaler, chapstick or lipstick. But so far I cannot find another example of that container on line by Layman's..

Its flattened out. If straight it would be no larger diameter than a dime. Just right for old lipstick. Is that the right size for curtain thimble?

Upvote 0
This is not one of my older metal ones (from my mother) - but, is one I got about 15 years ago, or so. It is a little longer than my metal ones, but the width is about the same.

How does this size stack up? I will try to find my metal ones in the future (I'm pretty sure they are packed in the cedar chest).

Beth

Attachments

• curtain thimble.jpg
    curtain thimble.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 185
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back