May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weather was cooler today with lots of cloud cover & little drizzly rain. Cru'Dad & I gridded the field for 4 hours & covered nearly 2 acres of land.
Results were a little better than we have had recently:

6 Roman Coins
2 17th C Tokens
Jetton
Tudor Book Clasp
Nice Tudor Button
Medieval Strapend
Medieval Buckle
Folded over 18th C Lead Button - 'Queens Own'

1681 Charles II Maundy Penny:headbang:

You know your detectors on your side when you get a coin like that out of stubble!:thumbsup:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 92
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    223 KB · Views: 94
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great job today

I can't believe how small that coin is. They must have lost a lot of them.

Amazing coin, and in great shape! Congratulations!!
Was that with the deus?

Amazing coin, and in great shape! Congratulations!!
Was that with the deus?

Nope, can't afford a Deus, plus the XP Goldmaxx Power with 11" goes just as deep. However, I had the stock coil on today, to help get in amounst the stubble.

XP at it's best! I love these small coins! I had the big coil on the xp today, wow, my shoulder hurts....

XP at it's best! I love these small coins! I had the big coil on the xp today, wow, my shoulder hurts....

Yeap, it takes some getting used to, but after you build up a bit of muscle its OK. Although its nice to have the 9" back on, feels like a feather now.

Yeap, it takes some getting used to, but after you build up a bit of muscle its OK. Although its nice to have the 9" back on, feels like a feather now.

It wasn't the 11" coil..... Xp sells the 11" as standard coil on the Xp here. I had the BIG one on. 30x36. Works ok on most coins and when the soil isn't much littered with junk. Kinda heavy, but you cover more ground and get more depth.

That is one VERY cool little piece of Silver.

It's a slow day when you don't learn something...lead button, don't think I've heard tell of such before ??

There's an interesting bit in 4th pic, beside the lead seal, what might that be ?

Nice finds among the stubble. It sounds as if that coin was pretty rare. I guess that is why it has the hole in it to display it and have a little prestige. Very cool.
HH
TnMtns

History, Relics and and the hunt....can't ask for a better outing and time for enjoyment then that. Nice!

That Maundy coin is a fantastic find!!!!! Have you dug others before, or is this your first?

Looks like you are getting "back in the swing of things."

Every Good Wish,

Buckles

It wasn't the 11" coil..... Xp sells the 11" as standard coil on the Xp here. I had the BIG one on. 30x36. Works ok on most coins and when the soil isn't much littered with junk. Kinda heavy, but you cover more ground and get more depth.

OK, makes more sense. I have one of those coils as well but never done to well with it.

That is one VERY cool little piece of Silver.

It's a slow day when you don't learn something...lead button, don't think I've heard tell of such before ??

There's an interesting bit in 4th pic, beside the lead seal, what might that be ?

They have made Lead Buttons since the Medieval period in the UK. However, the 18th C ones are a Lead-alloy, that is closer to Lead than it is to Pewter. So Lead-alloy would be a more perfect discription.

The thing next to the seal is a Victorian Fob Watch Winder, the type that had a 90 degree swivel. Therefore this is only the very top piece, the rest of the arm is lost.

That Maundy coin is a fantastic find!!!!! Have you dug others before, or is this your first?

Looks like you are getting "back in the swing of things."

Every Good Wish,

Buckles
I had to check the collection:

1675 Charles II Penny
1679 Charles II 2Penny
1686 James II Penny
1692 W&M 2Penny
1739 Geo II Penny
1784 Geo III Penny
1911 Geo V Penny

Looks like they seem to lose the 1 Penny more than any other. My theory is that if you were given a set of 1,2,3,4,5 & you were very poor. You may choose to hold on to the lowest one (most have holes to be worn, therefore lost) as your 'lucky' Coin from Royality & spend the higher ones that might be close to a weeks wage.

There is another popular explaination; that these were 'touch pieces'. A coin that was touched by Royality & thought that through their divine connection with God all ills would be cured. They would 'hole' these touched coins & wear them to 'bless' their recovery & ward off evil spirits. This did happen although I don't think it can account for the number I find, or I'm very lucky & have a direct connection with Royality touched coins!

Yes, I hope to starting 'really' swinging soon, it's been a slog recently. Things will change.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back