jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amy Smyth Murphy was walking on the beach at Corson's Inlet State Park in Ocean City when she saw something unusual."I noticed it because the bottle was like a really nice aqua," she recalled.It was early in the morning on July 3, and she says the glass bottle - corked with something inside - was right there on the sand

Nice story Thanks Jeff

Oldest message in a bottle 1874 IDTS.

310 B.C.E.​

In the age of ancient philosophy, one of Aristotle’s own pupils, the Greek philosopher Theophrastus, is credited with having sent the first message in a bottle. He did so in order to test his theory that the mighty Atlantic Ocean flowed into the Mediterranean Sea. It’s still unclear whether he ever received the confirmation he was hoping for.

Amy Smyth Murphy was walking on the beach at Corson's Inlet State Park in Ocean City when she saw something unusual."I noticed it because the bottle was like a really nice aqua," she recalled.It was early in the morning on July 3, and she says the glass bottle - corked with something inside - was right there on the sand

That's a cool 150 yr old recovery.

Oldest message in a bottle 1874 IDTS.

the operative words are "Ever Found" even if this tale of Theophrastus is True,
It's unclear if it was 'ever Found' :coffee2:

I would guess due to the sand replenishment there was a lot of cool finds brought to shore

Last edited:
the operative words are "Ever Found" even if this tale of Theophrastus is True,
It's unclear if it was 'ever Found' :coffee2:
Sure, if you accept Guinness as the 'Be-All and End-All' of all things.

Messages have been found in bottles for hundreds of years. This NJ story is dominating searches right now, so you really have to dig. But what the story appears to be claiming is that this message was in the bottle longer than any other--135 years (according to the article I'm looking at).

But according to the article I cited above,

The 1700s​

A Japanese seafarer named Chunosuke Matsuyama was shipwrecked in the remote South Pacific, along with his crew of 40-something other men. Desperate, he carved a message into coconut timber, stuffed it inside a bottle and threw it into the sea. This same message was discovered generations later in 1935
That's longer than 135 years.

But my point was only that this NJ bottle most certainly isn't the oldest bottle ever to have contained a message.

The whole thing is kinda murky, and subject to interpretation.

I'm 10 minutes from there and walk that beach all the time. Some people have all the luck! EDIT: I knew she looked familiar and just got off the phone with her brother! They are pretty stoked!!

Last edited:
Was it signed ‘Jeff of pa’?

Fantastic Jeff
Thank you for sharing

That’s wild! I’ve found a message in a bottle once that was about 25 years old and the paper crumbled like egg shells when I was unrolling it 😂😂

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back