Tesoro Tejon & Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• nickel eror.JPG
    nickel eror.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 404
Upvote 0
Re: Nickel error.. opinions & comments plz.

On the other side where the blob is covering TRUST, the nickel's rim has a slight hump. This is where UNITED is. Thanks Doug

Looks like post mint damage to me, as the trust looks to be covered up by a drop of solder after the die press, not before hand.

It looks to me like a die break, what they call a "cud". Uncommon, but not incredibly rare. Most aren't worth much, except to collectors who specialize in this sort of thing. Might get a couple bucks for it. I hang on to mine as each one is uncommon, and they make good conversation starters for people who are into coins :)

Hope this helps

Looks like a nice cud to me. Sometimes a piece of the die chips away from the side when a die starts deteriorating, creating a raised area of metal like this. Definitely a keeper, they're not common at all. A cud like this is worth at least $10 IMO.

Yeah, looks more like a cud to me than PMD.

It is definitely a cud and a nice find! Now, a note to fellow posters. IF you don't know the answer to a question please don't respond with guesses. To myself and a few others it was obvious what the error is called. Not trying to sound harsh, but it is only fair to the OP.
HH
enamel7

Can you post a picture of the other side? If the rim has a slight hump as you say, maybe it's another smaller cud. It might be the result of misaligned dies crashing together, which caused the edge to chip away like that.

enamel7 said:
It is definitely a cud and a nice find! Now, a note to fellow posters. IF you don't know the answer to a question please don't respond with guesses. To myself and a few others it was obvious what the error is called. Not trying to sound harsh, but it is only fair to the OP.
HH
enamel7

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Thank you enamel7 for saying something I have always found difficult to say. :icon_thumleft:

HH all!

Greg

enamel7 said:
HH
enamel7

Agreed. Perhaps your post is the first they read and they throw a real error back into circulation! This coin is 100% a cud from the mint. That piece of die broke off, leaving a void for the blank planchet to flow into. That leads to a lack of detail on the reverse, as there's not enough metal to flow into the die. Nice find!!

Here's a cud I used to own for comparison!

1970-SLincolnCudcopy.jpg

-Paul

Cud, fairly common for 1983, but I am yet to find one. Good find.

definitely a cud, and a very nice one too!
and @ coinkid, who takes pics for you? that is one amazing photo! coin pretty common but beautiful nonetheless. but must be a professional photographer who took that one!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back