Nice pocket spill

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost didn't dig this. Although it's December Its been warmer than usual. Today its 50 and raining. I thought I would try the back corner of my neighbors yard next to my property line. I've looked this over before but hadn't tried it yet. I figured this might be my last chance of the season, and with the light rain I grabbed my back up Garrett instead of my Cortes. The Garrett isn't waterproof but is sealed better. Anyway, I was just trying to cherry pick a little before the rain got too heavy and hadn't really found much. I had dug 2 old model cement tubes about 3 feet apart when I got a similar signal nearby. This one read about 4" instead of 2" like the others. When I tried to pinpoint it got a little erratic and kept nulling out which almost always means iron junk. That's why I almost didn't bother digging. Started to walk away and changed my mind. I flipped up a trowel full of dirt and sure enough at about 3-4" found a piece of an old nail. Figured that was all but stuck the pinpointer in the hole to check and the signal was still there! This time when I pulled more dirt out I immediately saw the flash of silver. Looked like a quarter and a dime. I quickly put them in my pouch and checked the hole. Still got a signal! Grabbed some more dirt and another dime! Checked again and another dime! One more time and a crusty looking penny. After I was satisfied that there were no more signals there or nearby I hurried home to see what I had. I had seen a 1916 on one of the Mercs but the reverse was covered with dirt and I didn't want to start wiping it off in the field! Unfortunately, after I got them cleaned off and quadruple checked that one for a mint mark, there was no D. The others were a 1920 Mercury, a 1909 Barber, I believe a 1917 SLQ, and a 1901 crusty Indian. Probably the best 20 minute hunt in the rain I've ever had.

Attachments

• IMG_9656.jpg
    IMG_9656.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,745
  • IMG_9678.jpg
    IMG_9678.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,752
Upvote 0
smcdmc said:
After I was satisfied that there were no more signals there or nearby I hurried home to see what I had. I had seen a 1916 on one of the Mercs but the reverse was covered with dirt and I didn't want to start wiping it off in the field! Unfortunately, after I got them cleaned off and quadruple checked that one for a mint mark, there was no D. The others were a 1920 Mercury, a 1909 Barber, I believe a 1917 SLQ, and a 1901 crusty Indian. Probably the best 20 minute hunt in the rain I've ever had.
smart man, VERY smart. I wish everyone could learn this! If it had been a D and you wiped it, you would have lost a ton of $$$. Awesome coins and you can tell you were careful with them, super spill!!!! and thank you for not ruining them by wiping the dirt off with your fingers :hello2:

Goes4ever said:
smcdmc said:
After I was satisfied that there were no more signals there or nearby I hurried home to see what I had. I had seen a 1916 on one of the Mercs but the reverse was covered with dirt and I didn't want to start wiping it off in the field! Unfortunately, after I got them cleaned off and quadruple checked that one for a mint mark, there was no D. The others were a 1920 Mercury, a 1909 Barber, I believe a 1917 SLQ, and a 1901 crusty Indian. Probably the best 20 minute hunt in the rain I've ever had.
smart man, VERY smart. I wish everyone could learn this! If it had been a D and you wiped it, you would have lost a ton of $$$. Awesome coins and you can tell you were careful with them, super spill!!!! and thank you for not ruining them by wiping the dirt off with your fingers :hello2:

It certainly raises the anticipation factor the more you wait. By the time I got to the kitchen sink I was half expecting to see a "D" and was almost surprised when I didn't :D

well if it had been that little wait would have saved you about $1,000 =)

Nice recovery!

All the best,

Lanny

Nice coins Shane! I need to make it down you way soon :wink:

Nice when you pull up trowel of dirt and get that distinctive flash of silve. Awsome spill and nice variety. Keep swing until the ground freezes.

bucksport said:
Nice coins Shane! I need to make it down you way soon :wink:

Yeah, I know a couple cellar holes down here. I think they've been hit before as I haven't found a lot of coins, but maybe next spring before the vegetation comes in...
When I found them this summer it was pretty thick in places and kinda hard to swing.

mjc_lakedweller said:
Nice when you pull up trowel of dirt and get that distinctive flash of silve. Awsome spill and nice variety. Keep swing until the ground freezes.

Well, 53 and rain yesterday, 31 and snow today. Maybe that was the last hunt of the year. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back