Nice finds for newbies

Agsalmon

Feb 3, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Quest q20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We are metal detecting a beautiful waterfront property. The home was built in 1701 and was even used as a civil war hospital. It has been owned and passed down through the current family since the the 1940’s. As far as they know no one has ever metal detected the property. There were actually 2 canon balls stuck in the back of the house that were removed and actually displayed inside of the home to this day. Unfortunately the last owner of the house passed away and her kids are in the midst of figuring out the properties and land to see what they are going to do. Sadly, It’s looking as though the house will be sold. I’m hoping our city will intervene as this is such a historical site. There is even a Native American reservation next to the property.

******If anyone has any ideas on what some of these smalls are please be sure to comment. We are new to this and appreciate any insight and education.

Good luck to everyone and Happy hunting!

AD304CED-2A53-4DA8-8BFF-77106BC042EC.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 15
Beautiful historic finds! I love the dandy and shanked flat buttons; absolutely gorgeous. And near complete shoe buckles? awesome! Hopefully the property will be maintained accordingly. Keep up the great work saving history :thumbsup:

Thank you. We are still very new to all of this so tryin to clean up this stuff is still tricky to me. I want to get the items cleaner but I don’t want to destroy them while doing it, so any ideas are appreciated.

There are forums on that I would love to hunt somewhere that old Thanks for sharing your funds

Welcome from MI. Tommy

Your best buckle there is dated 1690-1720 - Congrats!

Welcome to T-net and congrats on the nice finds!

If you have a chance to detect there again I would say go with a dig every signal approach. There has got to be some coppers and maybe even some Spanish silver.

We will def be going back as much as we can since we don’t know when the property will be sold. The current owners have given us permission to search the whole property there is even a small island next to it that we have rights too. It’s so much land that I don’t think we will ever hunt it all but I will def be taking this advice! Thank you so much for the feedback

Thank you for the welcome messages everyone.

Cool finds, thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

Thank you. We have several more very old properties in another city here in VA that we will be hunting soon so I’m hoping to have even more to share. I love seeing everyone’s finds along with sharing my own. Everyone is so helpful here. Thanks again and happy hunting!

Had no clue. This is amazing. We figured it was old but not that old. So exciting. Makes me want to go back right now. Especially since we started finding this good stuff an hour before dark. Really appreciate the feedback. Any other ideas please feel free to comment. We are always interested in learning more about our finds and hopefully this will make us better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back