Nice Find but how to clean it??

GoldGirl56

Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro & Garrett PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to visit my son in a country town in Melbourne yesterday and took our Garrett AT Pro with us for a bit of fun. He was hooked, we found a 1930?? One Penny coin. It must be pre 1937 as it doesn't appear to have a Kangaroo on it, rather a ring around it and has a date (bearly visible) but seems 193? In really bad condition though. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how we might clean it up.

Attachments

• One Penny.jpg
    One Penny.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 284
Upvote 1
Hi GiGi! :)

Not sure why no one answered your question, but I think the best way to clean that coin is to boil some hydrogen peroxide in a small Pyrex dish and then drop the coin in. Wait a few hours as it fizzes away and then scrub it with a toothbrush. Repeat until clean ;)

Oh my! Can we even say that word? I thought this was a family oriented site. ;)

Clean?!?!?

Heck! I don't know. I'd start easy. :dontknow:

HH!

Looks like the coin is been sitting in fertilizer @ some point in its life...

Hi GiGi! :)

Not sure why no one answered your question, but I think the best way to clean that coin is to boil some hydrogen peroxide in a small Pyrex dish and then drop the coin in. Wait a few hours as it fizzes away and then scrub it with a toothbrush. Repeat until clean ;)

Follow Erik's advice!! Peroxide is great when heated in tubberware or Pyrex leave it in as long as you'd like 30 min will do it justice and won't remove the patina!! Good luck! Hey Erik I'm gonna use one of the 2x's you sent me for my capped bust half dime!! Lol

Cool find GG. Hope it cleans up a bit.

Sadly most coins like this are destroyed... Corrosion has replaced the original metal, the detail is just not there anymore. Now, you can do heavy cleaning to it to maybe uncover some of the bottom detail of the strike... By striping away the corrosion to uncover the detail at the bottom of the strike... This is sometimes good and sometimes bad, all depends on how your coin reacts... Good luck !!

Keep @ it and HH !!

Hi Erik, thankyou so much for your tip! Hadn't thought of hydrogen peroxide so will definitely give it a go! If it works I will post the coin up again so you can see. :)

Hi HutSiteDigger, I think you may be right. We found it near a fairly new lake which has been prettied up with new grass etc. So that would make sense.

Hi Mud(S.W.A.T) I understand what you are saying. We shall see how we go, but have a feeling the middle part of the coin has corroded away. We shall see what happens! :)

If that coin was mine it would go straight to the rock tumbler.

Hi mr helton, well we have just purchased one on ebay and should be here at the end of the week and can't wait! I will post up shortly my efforts on cleaning this coin. Thanks for the advice :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back