Nice buttons but I am at a loss as to what they are.

MichaelB

Aug 13, 2005
Mobile Bay, Alabama

Attachments

• North Mobile button.jpg
    North Mobile button.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 705
  • North Mobile Alabama finds.jpg
    North Mobile Alabama finds.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 628
  • Back of North Mobile finds.jpg
    Back of North Mobile finds.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 571
  • North Mobile button.jpg
    North Mobile button.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 565
  • North Mobile Alabama finds.jpg
    North Mobile Alabama finds.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 536
  • Back of North Mobile finds.jpg
    Back of North Mobile finds.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 548
Upvote 0
Maybe Overall buttons? Just a guess... Nice finds tho. :thumbsup: jgas

Hey MichaelB. Good to see you posting on todays finds. I think you're right about them being early 1900's. I was down home (monroe county) last week and dug some of the very same buttons in the Finchburg ghost town. Most of those home sites date early 1900's. I'll try and take some pics this weekend and post. They are the very same as the ones you found.

Good Luck and maybe we can get together sometime when I'm coming down.
Randy

Randy, that would be great. The Obryans I thought could be an overall button but the Panama Mobile so close to Mobile, Alabama had me stumped. It was found close to the river so I was thinking some type of Banana Boat offloading way North of Mobile....just a reach.

MichaelB

MichaelB said:
Randy, that would be great. The Obryans I thought could be an overall button but the Panama Mobile so close to Mobile, Alabama had me stumped. It was found close to the river so I was thinking some type of Banana Boat offloading way North of Mobile....just a reach.

MichaelB

Yeap. The ones I found were very close to the river also. I'll do a little research and see what I can come up with. Maybe we can tie them to the fire ant infestation we have in Bama. :D

I'll post those pics tomorrow and keep you posted on what I can find out about them.

Duck Pants in the Post-Civil War Era

The Duck Head name can be traced back to 1865 and two brothers in Nashville, Tennessee. George and Joe O'Bryan, according to lore, bought surplus Army tents made out of a heavy, canvas-like material known as duck. Although it was not intended as a clothing material, duck proved to make durable work pants and overalls. These early khakis also made a success of the O'Bryan Brothers Manufacturing Company and created a Southern clothing staple. In 1892 the brothers tried to trademark the name "duck," but were turned down by the Trademark and Registration Office in Washington because the term was in general usage. Told that "duck head" was available, the O'Bryan brothers registered the term, which naturally led to the head of a mallard duck becoming the lasting symbol of their products.

Duck Heads continued to be manufactured in the 20th century by O'Bryan Brothers, although during World War II the business turned its exclusive attention to making military uniforms. Following the war the company latched onto the popularity of country music, a natural connection given its Nashville location, and with such stars as Hank Williams sporting Duck Heads, the product line gained even greater regional appeal. During the 1980s, Duck Heads were all but the official uniform of the Southern college fraternity brother. By 1989 Delta Woodside decided to buy the Duck Head brand and attempt to roll it out on a national basis.

Read more: http://www.referenceforbusiness.com/history2/75/Duck-Head-Apparel-Company-Inc.html#ixzz0ifwfV34t

Thanks GibH. That's very good reading. I too have found some of these O'Brian buttons and didn't realize they could be so old. These could date to the 1800's. I always thought they were early 1900's. I'll try and pull some of mine out.

GibH, you are the man. I think you nailed the O'BRYAN button. Now I just have to track down the PANAMA MOBILE> Many thanks.

MichaelB

Here is some of the ones I found last week. The last pic is some of the other types I found in the same site. I really like the strong man button.

Attachments

• panmob.JPG
    panmob.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 417
  • buttons 006.JPG
    buttons 006.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 469
RPG those are sweet. I can't believe I've never found any of these in all my years of digging and then I find some just south of you. The strongman is a killer button. There has to be a cool story behind that one. Thanks for the pictures.

MichaelB

I can hardly wait to get back to the site where I found these. I only had half a day there and was dodging rain showers. It's a green plot about two acres and I have barely touched it. I am sure there are more buttons to be found. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back