newlin creek colorado

When I look at this gold site map for Fremont County, Colorado ( Gold Map for Colorado, Fremont County ), I see gold bearing areas to the west of it. So there is a possibility.

From the history I found, it was a Silver area, not gold (but that does not mean there is no gold there).

Last edited:
Thanks a lot j moller! Just up the hill 18 miles was a small mining operation that supposedly pulled 2000+ ounces of gold. So I am hoping this creek will be gold bearing. However there is only a small area of blm land while the rest is national forest. I am trying to figure out how I can legally get in there.

Keep in mind that in Colorado (with a few exceptions), you can run a battery operated water pump to create a slow water speed high banker (which works quite well with my Gold Cube) without any permits (unlike a gasoline powered rig). I run a 1000 or 1200 GPH pump off of a 55 amp hour mobility (Gell Cell, deep charge) battery - it will run it for 15 hours or more.

A lot of Colorado gold is quite fine (30 to 50 mesh). The Gold Cube will pick up 100 mesh gold (as long as you don't run the water too fast, and you pre-screen to 8 mesh). Most of the time the fine gold floats away unless you are running gear that will hang on to it. The ultra fine stuff is hard to separate from the same sized black sand, however capturing it is 80% of the battle.

...and you can prospect in national forest and even Wilderness Areas (no pumps in wilderness of course). Just be sure to check in at the local US forest ranger station to ask about regulations and be SURE you are not on a mine claim (go where unclaimable or visit county recorders office to learn about existing claims in your are of interest. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back