Whitey9457

Jun 30, 2016
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone! Just wanted to post a quick introduction.

31/m in Portland, Oregon here. My brother-in-law took me out metal detecting for my first time a few weeks ago while I was visiting New Hampshire. On that hunt he found 4 coins from the 1700s. One was a Massachusetts colony copper and another was a Vermont copper (ended up being worth quite a bit). The other two were King George the something-or-other (1 Irish, 1 English i think). I found a pretty cool naval button that day too. Later that week I found a 1817 large cent in really nice condition. I'll try to add a photo.

Since I've been back in Oregon, I haven't had any luck on old coins. A few wheat pennies, but no silver (which would be my ideal find right now). I don't think the detector that I've been renting can detect deep enough to where silver would be. I'm saving up for an AT Pro.

I have had some luck with a few pieces of jewelry though. I've found 2 "diamond" earrings (i don't think either are real) and a pretty amazing ring that MIGHT be real (I'll try to add photos). There is no stamp on the ring and it clearly isn't very old. The detector i'm using isn't very accurate, but the ring definitely seems to show up right around the higher end of gold I think.. kind of on the border of gold/silver. I believe it has 30 stones in it. I contacted officials at the park where I found it at, but it was right in a flood zone and they said it could've maybe been deposited there by the river.

For only a month into the hobby, I think I'm doing pretty well. I've probably come close to paying for the rental with the amount of clad change i've found. If any of the jewelry ends up being real, I'll be very far ahead.

0608160613d.jpgPhoto on 7-3-16 at 8.27 AM.jpg0630162042a.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Whitey and welcome to Tnet. :hello:

I'm sorry to say you probably won't be finding ANY of those cool copper coins in Oregon. That's pretty much an East Coast thing. As for gold, it likes to ring up on detectors much the same as aluminum.

Nice finds! :thumbsup: That ring is beautiful.

Thank you! I keep picking it up like "My precious....". I don't even care if i find out it's not real. I might not even check just to avoid disappointment. I don't think i'd ever sell it anyways.

And yeah I didn't expect to find any coppers out here :( already eager to go back for another visit soon... (also to see family. lol.) I'm really glad i found at least something before i left though.

that aluminum is tricky. almost every time i'm nearly POSITIVE it's a coin because of how loud and clear it is, it is a pull-tab. most of the time aluminum just makes my detector go crazy and it won't give me an accurate reading about what it is. so much crap aluminum out here.

Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

The more you read about others' experiences here, the more you'll see that you HAVE to dig all aluminum if you ever want a chance at getting anything gold. Is the nature of the beast, I suppose. :tongue3:

Welcome to TNET. You're doing pretty well for just having started. Keep digging, there's plenty more waiting in the dirt.

Welcome from New York! Great finds so far - REALLY great! :occasion14:

The ring looks like a QVC (Three payments of $24.75 on "Stretch Pay") heart breaker - I've found my share :dontknow:, but that old copper is a Bucket List find! :icon_thumright:

Whitey9457

Welcome to TNet!
You certainly have been doing well, detecting...!
Great Finds! :thumbsup:
AT Pro will do you fine, and it is water-proof (you'll need it, in Portland!)
I lived there 15 years myself....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back