Feb 18, 2013
NC
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all! I am new to this site and also new to treasure seeking if you will; Not looking for riches but relics from my and our past. I bought my first metal detector (Whites MXT) last Friday and used it for the first time Sunday. During the summer while riding our quads on the land we bought behind our house my Fiance' and I found two old grave sites one is marked 1817 and the other headstone is so deteriorated there are no markings, this lead to my desire to buy a metal detector. I have spent months trying to find out who is buried in the graves without any luck. What I did find is that Nathaniel Greene and his men marched through this property or close to it, this so intrigued me I ordered the metal detector to see if it would help uncover the past. Well on my first pass of what appears to be an old wagon road we found so much it was overwhelming, some of it just broken iron and some of it I believe uncovered the location of an old work shed as there was so much iron. Most of the findings were 6-8 inches deep what I believe to be years of leaf decay and some were 2-3 inches deep not sure of the difference other than the amount of roots and these were pushed up by the roots. I actually found a horseshoe embedded in a root.
This has peeked my curiosity to say the least and it has added a new passion in my life. I have already contacted friends and neighbors to let me search their yards, I don't expect to get rich or find treasure but I do expect to find some things that others will treasure be it a lost item or something a past loved one owned that will rekindle a memory for someone. I expect to post my finds later to see if some of you can help me identify what they are and possible dates of origin.

Thank you

Ken

Welcome! Keep us updated on your finds.

Welcome Ken! Check with the county , they may have copies of old land grants that would help you identify early owners of that proerty.

Wayne

Welcome from White Plains, New York! Wow, what a great place to detect! I can't wait to see some of your finds!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back