Newbie seeks info on Northwest and West Georgia civil war sites

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Newbie to Civil War relic hunting is looking for info on hunt areas in Cobb and Paulding county around the Dallas and New Hope Georgia area. Also interested in northwest, GA like Resaca and Dalton areas. Looking for hunt areas that are near battle fields but areas that can be detected. If you have had permissions and still have the landowner’s contact info and would be willing to share this information; then private message me so I can contact the landowner to ask for a current permission.

I am doing lots of research in this quest and will share info with anyone interested in hunting these areas. If you have ever metal detected in these areas in the past and wish to share that would be helpful and I will reciprocate with information that I have dug up on other similar areas that I have detected or researched.

Would also like to hunt with someone in these areas. I only hunt M-F since we keep the young grandsons on the weekend. I am a veteran (1964 – 1967) and semi-retired with my own business and work from home. I have a lot of time for my research and my main hobby is metal detecting. Hunt with a Equinox 800.

If you are interested in this type of collaboration, send me a private message. Thanks.

use google - type in battle sites - skirmishes - camps - forts etc
you wont be able to hit any national parks or state parks but you may be able to get permissions
surrounding these sites
I will get you started
https://www.northamericanforts.com/East/ga.html

I feel the better chance you may have is find reading about the small skirmishes and short encounters
one side or the other guarding a ford or bridge or short stops where troops stopped for a short while in the fields around
a small town - just finding the old routes where they would have stopped every so many miles and rested all along those roads - these are the spots to research and seek out
years ago I was on a large hunt with a bunch of guys and we were staying at a hotel bout a mile from a national park
the park was of course off limits and was on the other side of a major CW river - I told guys if major action happened over there - that the woods behind the hotel may have seen some action - either over shoots over guys trying retreat etc.
I asked the hotel manager and they said they owned so far back and the next few acres were public so I decided to go back there and I ended up finding some minies and some musketballs back there
try and find writings like these - some are vague but others came give you good leads and help with research
https://www.mycivilwar.com/battles/1864s.html#dialog
you will find a handful of minor engagement spots in Georgia mentioned here

small example - find where these tracks ran - it would have -I would think - taken them a few days to tear up that much track - so they must have camped and rested on either sides of this area - who knows what could've been lost

October 4, 1864 in Acworth, Georgia - On October 4 , a Confederate corps entered the towns of Acworth and Big Shanty. In both towns, they quickly captured the Union garrison and tore up a total of 15 miles of railroad tracks.

Great info and a good start wish I lived near you...

small example - find where these tracks ran - it would have -I would think - taken them a few days to tear up that much track - so they must have camped and rested on either sides of this area - who knows what could've been lost

October 4, 1864 in Acworth, Georgia - On October 4 , a Confederate corps entered the towns of Acworth and Big Shanty. In both towns, they quickly captured the Union garrison and tore up a total of 15 miles of railroad tracks.

Thanks a lot for the posts. It gives me a start on my research. Much appreciated.

John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back