Newbie needs I'D please

mickter74

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there , new to the site /forum and also detecting ... I have found a hammered that I'm hoping someone could I'd for me .... first all of all .... how to you add pic ? �� IMG_20180501_195239_092.jpgIMG_20180429_204149_023.jpg

Last edited:
you don't just post a hammered with no back story! that is an awesome coin, i would dance naked in the street if i found one of those.

Upvote 0
Haha .... it was on my new permission in Sedgefield county durham .... it was a poor day till then

Upvote 0
The most important thing to ID these is the portrait class type (Which I can't help with, other than its 'with Sceptre' & not without) & the Moneyer & Mint, because all shortcross's have the obverse legend HENRICVS (Henry II, Richard I, John, & Henry III).

So you have the reverse Moneyer & Mint as;

WALTER.ON.LV

Which is Walter of London, which gives you 2 possibilities King John or Henry III. You need an expert to tell you the difference. (But I'll go with King John)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Super find. Congrats :occasion14:

Upvote 0
Years ago, on a forum far, far away, an English detertorist posted a find. I was the ONLY person who responded and congratulated him. And also mentioned that had I found a coin 750 years old I'd still be bouncing off the ceiling and walls.

Not long after that I received a package in the mail. I was floored! Also puzzled. He never revealed how he had found my address (though I had bought & sold with other forum members). It has a prized spot in my coin collection.

HPIM1051.JPG

HPIM1047.JPG

Upvote 0
Any idea on class ... been con firmed it's a john
That was my best guess but who confirmed it? They would need to know the class to do this!

Walter did classes 5c-6b.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back