newbie from cali with infinium ls inquiries.

sig1911

Feb 6, 2013
Long Beach, CA.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Vaquero, Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello everyone,

newbie cali md'ing addict here. got my first md a 'lil over a month ago which was an ACE 250. awesome coin shooter but after a week figured i was better off getting a tesoro vaquero. received that unit on the 29th of january. love that machine, awesome in dry sand. i live close to the beach which is my main type of hunting ground, the only type i've done so far. realized soon after that vlf, at least the vaquero, is not that great on wet sand. i was able to tweak it quiet enough to find some coins and pull tabs on wet sand but have only hit a 3" depth target with it. so i decided to get a pi. i went with the infinium ls and got it this friday 2/16. tried doing bench test but couldn't coz of freq interference from my apartment and nearby ones. went to the beach that same day and was getting the same interference. went to 2 other beaches the day after which were far from any source of radio disturbance. did all the steps and tips i've read from the manual and the web, still no success. there is no channel that i could find that's completely stable. when i do stick to the most quiet setting and turn the threshold back out of "freq adjust", it's stable while turning the knob but when i stop at my desired threshold the noise comes back after a couple of sec. i was able to work with it and have dug targets close to about 2ft. my brother in-law did most of the digging on that one target coz he was curios if there actually was something in there, and sure enough there was a bobby pin at that depth. i've found a few interesting stuff with it so far like bracelet (junk), earring (junk), and a swiss army knife so i'm able to deal with the disturbance so far. my question is, are the infiniums suppose to get completely stable or are those freq disturbance unavoidable? i've done a lot of reading and i understand the learning curve on this unit is pretty steep, but so far i've only got the sand shark to compare it to and that unit was quiet. called garrett today and they're very helpful. sue from garrett is sending me a new coil to try out before i have to ship the whole unit to them. outside of that freq. issue this pi is great. heavy as heck with the stock coil but it's one deep hitting pi.

thanks in advance for any tips, advice, and comments. awesome forum!

Welcome. As you found out, the PI's will go deep but they also sound off on every piece of junk out there. At a beach clean of iron, that might be desirable but if you get tired of it, get an Excalibur if you go in the water or an E-trac if you don't. You get a little less depth but they're very stable and you can discriminate out the iron.

746537d1361389651t-i-am-man-nantucket-lmkwelcfshx_e01.gif

Welcome to Tnet. and happy hunting.

I hope you get the EMI problems worked out, and that the new coil solves your problem. A lot of it is just getting used to the audible threshold, and learning your machines "language." Many new users have a completely different perception of what a "stable" or "smooth" threshold actually sounds like, and it takes a little time to train your ears to understand the normal sounds in the treshold as well as the positive and negative breaks.

The Infinium is harder to adjust and use than the Sand Shark, but it is a good, deep PI. Keep us posted on your progress, and what happens with the new coil.

finally was able to test out the replacement coil that garrett sent yesterday. only had about half an hour of sunlight left to work with so i decided to hit the same spot i've been to. soon as i turn my infinium on i can already tell the difference. i didn't even have to do any freq. adjust or ground balance. the tone was so stable i couldn't believe it, not a chirp. i can hear even the softest break on the tone from a target. i could only work with a threshold of less than 2 to avoid hearing those emi/freq noises with the original coil it came with. now i can crank up my threshold to max and it still solid, was working between 4 and 5 mostly. still no gold but i'm more confident and very happy with my infinium now that i know it's working how it's suppose to.

thanks again everyone for the comments/advice/welcomes...

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back