Newbee...First Old Coin Find

haboo

Jun 27, 2007
Hampshire, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
From what I can read it say one cent. I'm working on cleaning it using Hydrogen Peroxide. I found lots of other stuff but I need a new camera. Found old buttons, buckles, pieces of ceramic plates or whatever. Had to use scanner for the coin pic.

Attachments

• old-coin.jpg
    old-coin.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 668
Upvote 0
Welcome to TNet!! Hope you have fun here, and I'm sure you will, with all of the great people we have here! Great Find and Happy Hunting!

Kiko 8)

I don;t know where you are form or what that coin is, but I would take it out of the peroxide and look at the coin cleaning forums here...Cleaning a coin is a very critical thing..I am not trying to assume you don't already know this, but I know some very experience pepople that have ruined some very valuable coins during the cleaning process...

Good luck and happy hunting

~Nash~

Nashoba said:
I don;t know where you are form or what that coin is, but I would take it out of the peroxide and look at the coin cleaning forums here...Cleaning a coin is a very critical thing..I am not trying to assume you don't already know this, but I know some very experience pepople that have ruined some very valuable coins during the cleaning process...

Good luck and happy hunting

~Nash~

thanks nash i,m very new

I use boiling peroxide on the really bad copper. If they are so bad you can't make much out, they aren't worth much anyway IMO. If they aren't so caked with crud you can actually make out some detail, but want to try and make it even better, I try olive oil, which can be a really slow process but it can clean them up fairly nice. The coin you have there actually has some detail to it. What's the front look like ?

I don't know what you've found either but I sure would like to see a pic of the other side. It looks very old. Nice find there!

On second thought it looks like a 1790's large cent...Very nice!

Attachments

• license_20070506191514_50783.jpg
    license_20070506191514_50783.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 607
  • license_20070506191514_50783.jpg
    license_20070506191514_50783.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 614
Gribnitz said:
I use boiling peroxide on the really bad copper. If they are so bad you can't make much out, they aren't worth much anyway IMO. If they aren't so caked with crud you can actually make out some detail, but want to try and make it even better, I try olive oil, which can be a really slow process but it can clean them up fairly nice. The coin you have there actually has some detail to it. What's the front look like ?

cant really make out much on the front. Ill post after trying the boiling peroxide method. it is a large one cent piece. hard to read from the photo

You found a large cent. Congrats. This is one of the earlier American coins. They were made anywhere from late 1700s into the early/mid 1800s. Date would be below the bust on the front side of the coin, but I gather you can't read a date. Where are you located? You've certainly found a good colonial site there.

Great find there. Welcome and keep posting to Tnet. We all love it.

HH.

Nice large cent, keep it up!

Bergie said:
You found a large cent. Congrats. This is one of the earlier American coins. They were made anywhere from late 1700s into the early/mid 1800s. Date would be below the bust on the front side of the coin, but I gather you can't read a date. Where are you located? You've certainly found a good colonial site there.
WV thanks for the info on the coin i found, now all i need is a good way to clean it. here is a front pic.

Attachments

• old-coin-3.jpg
    old-coin-3.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 574
Congrats on the large cent, I'd go back and keep hunting that site. I bet there is more there.

Try putting it in a potato. Some on the forum have had good results with this method.
I only know what I have learned from other's on here, but it's worth a shot.

TeddyB1967 said:
Congrats on the large cent, I'd go back and keep hunting that site. I bet there is more there.

Try putting it in a potato. Some on the forum have had good results with this method.

heck why not.... getting a tater now. cant hurt any!!!

Congrats on an awesome find Haboo and welcome to TNet.

I agree, Its a large cent. Welcome to TN. I am looking forward to seeing more of your finds.
Dman

haboo said:
TeddyB1967 said:

heck why not.... getting a tater now. cant hurt any!!!

Don't leave it in the spud to long!!!!Potato acid starts to eat into the copper and take away detail (I know from experience, ouch). It does work well for getting of the first layers of crud though. a good soak in apple cider vinegar does nicely to remove crud as well, then a nice oil soak for conditioning. Just my 2 cents, although not as nice as your large cent ;) HH

TeddyB1967 said:

Baked or mashed? :P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back