New to rock Identificatoin - Help please - Heavy black rock, magnetic.

mrwizard

Feb 4, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, I found this rock and would love some assistance identifying it, its very heavy, was picked up by my metal detector and is magnetic. The bottom looks like a normal rock and the top has areas of smooth black and an area of green and some areas of orange. Its about 12cm long

Here are some images.
IMG_0388.JPGIMG_0389.JPGIMG_0390.JPGIMG_0391.JPG

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

The orange spots are rust coming out of the rock.The green crystalized areas I don't know but to me it looks to be molten like lava.

Upvote 0
Iron meteorites are magnetic, while most naturally-occurring rocks and silica slag are not. Some people think this test proves a specimen is a meteor but, this is not true. Iron ore and iron slag can also both be magnetic.

My vote is for magnetic iron slag as, crushed slag is used by the tons for railroad ballast and found all over country from present and abandoned rail lines.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The rock that you have seems to have a fusion crust but can't certainly say that it's a meteorite. If you want a better identification of it whether it is a meteorite or not, i kindly request you to contact this person at his email id "[email protected]"

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back