w4wxr

Greenie
Sep 6, 2011
Keavy , Ky
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, let me ask forgiveness for not taking the time look through old post for the answer. Call me impatient or lazy:laughing7: I guess, but I was wanting to ask for info about myself upgrading my metal detector from the present Bounty Hunter that I received years ago as a gift. Now that my Son's and I are wanting something to do during camping outings as well as other times, I am wanting to purchase a 2nd detector.

I have been looking at several brands.. Either getting a new Bounty Hunter (not the choice I am wanting) or to purchase a Garrett or Whites.

I am going to list the ones I have been looking at, and if anyone would be willing to give me input from past personal experience I would deeply appreciate it.
I am wanting not to spend a great amount, but don't want something that is going to miss items in the ground either.
Looking to spend under $300 for a descent detector for now.. Any help appreciated!:icon_scratch:

Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2

Bounty Hunter Lone Star

Garrett Ace 250

White Coinmaster Pro Metal Detector

Might want to check out bounty hunter platinum its 300$ I have been very pleased with mine

If you haven't already read it, then I would recommend you have a look at my review of the MicroMax Silver (http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/tesoro/337325-tesoro-micromax-silver-technical-review.html). It costs $250 new and comes with a lifetime warranty, unlike any of the others detectors mentioned (unless you count the Tesoro Compadre in the video).

Tesoros come with a nontransferable lifetime warranty. So, as long as you buy yours new and send in the registration card, you're covered for life. Whites come with a 2 year transferable warranty. Garretts come with a 2 year warranty, probably transferable (it's only 2 years, so why not?). Bounty Hunters come with a 5 year warranty. So, if you expect a warranty to be a reflection of build quality, then Tesoro is the company most confident in its products.

The Silver also has a nice tone that won't drive you crazy after listening to it for hours. The discriminator is highly effective. The whole unit is under 2.5 pounds, including batteries. It's just a sweet deal.

Last edited:
Just signed up, so I could reply to this post. :D Well, it all depends on your budget, and seeing that you have a $300 budget, your best bet would be to get the Garrett ACE 250. I've been using it for quite some time now (about 3 years) and compared to the other high priced detectors on the market, it's the best in terms of features and reliability. When I get home I'll see if I could write up a longer post, but I hope I was of some help.

It's possible to hunt well with an Ace 250, as long as you ignore the visual readout. The computer that generates that visual feedback has to make a bunch of assumptions in order to run its calculations. Whenever a trained ear can't tell the difference between a coin at 4 inches and a soda can at 8 inches, the computer can't tell either. From those I've talked to, people who start with a machine that has a visual display will learn within a year or two to ignore it and use only their ears. If the computer is correct 90% of the time, then it's wrong 1 out of 10 times. So, how many good targets are you willing to pass up for the convenience of digging fewer pull tabs? It's the same decision you would make without the computer anyway. The only difference is that the information is going through your eyes instead of your ears.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back