New to hunting but hooked

makado86

Oct 30, 2009
Lower Michigan
Hello,
I am new to this site. I live in Michigan and have been collecting rocks/minerals and fossils since I was 9 or 10. Enjoyed it so much, I went to school and studied geology. We currently live on a few acres and have horses. Horses like to run and started tearing up a section of our pasture. One day, my sun was out in the pasture getting one of the horses and he noticed something that looked like an arrow head. At first I said yey right. But after holding it my hand I realized that it was indeed an arrowhead, most likely some sort of knife. Since then I have been hooked. I haven't found too many, but just enough to keep looking. I did have a question about the big slab that I found buried in my garden. It appears to be similar material as the two points that we found (see pictures attached), but surface is very rough/scratched. It is about 10 inches long and has a very flat surface. Is it a geofact or was it used four something? All three pieces were found in my back yard (barnyard).

Thanks.

Attachments

• P1010130b.JPG
    P1010130b.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 311
  • P1010132b.JPG
    P1010132b.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 313
  • P1010002b.JPG
    P1010002b.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 309
  • P1010004b.JPG
    P1010004b.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 313
  • P1010005b.JPG
    P1010005b.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 316
Upvote 0
First welcome to artifacts. Look slike the horses are kickig out some good artifacts. Nice point. I wonder if the larger items may have been brought back from their quarry or source to be worked at a later time? You know geology do the seem to be re formed by man? Cool finds and keep us updated :thumbsup:
HH
TnMtns

As for the horses uncovering great artifacts. I think they were responsible for breaking the one point. I found 3 pieces very close together with fresch break. The slab appears to have a couple of strike marks on the narrow end but no fresh working marks. The flat surface is very rough and weathered almost like sand paper. There appears to be scratches on it. The black staining may be from being put in a fire pit. It lookes like some charring on backside. If you had some muscle you could deffinetly use this to hoe a garden or dig a hole.

:coffee2:

It does look like there's a "pot lid" popped out of the round side from it having been heated too quickly over that area for the heat to spread through the stone. Twenty five cent term : "thermal expansion."

It may have been carried in with the intention of eventually shaping it into something, or it may have been a piece removed from the nodule it came from to get it out of the way.

Happy hunting !

Thats a real good start. The whole point looks to be very early type because of the lancelot shape of the blade, but I dont know that much about points from up your way. I'd guess it to be from the Early Archaic though. 6-9 thousand B.P.

Jonnyreb said:
Thats a real good start. The whole point looks to be very early type because of the lancelot shape of the blade, but I dont know that much about points from up your way. I'd guess it to be from the Early Archaic though. 6-9 thousand B.P.

I was thinking early stemmed late paleo lance too. But like you I'm unfamiliar with types north of Pa, so it would be my best guess.

Welcome aboard Makado, It's an addictive hobby to say the least but it's really enjoyable and rewarding. Thanks for sharing your finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back