New Site to hunt. Update 1

Re: New Site to hunt.

Good luck Floater! Get those coins before they're under a parking lot!

Kent

Re: New Site to hunt.

Never leave home without it.LOL

OK this place is trashy. I will post a pic of the site tomorrow but its hard to believe how some property is neglected. I managed a 1966 dime and a few other crappy pieces of trash before i had to leave. It is going to be a difficult site. I am thinking of going at it with full discrimination tommorrow and see if i get anything. Maybe a quick sweep. Then back off the disc. and go again at it. I found iron down 15 inches and had sweet sound that turned out to be chicken wire buried at 18 inches. I could not believe the debris and they haven't even wrecked the house yet. These people must have filled the yard with trash and just buried it when it wasn't any good to them. Oh well I will try again. heres the dime . And with the new camera w/ macro setting HH

Attachments

• 66d.jpg
    66d.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 315
I can hear those coins yelling out now "Floater come save us"
You better get back there and get 'em before the dozers do.
What size coil are you using? Do you have a smaller one? I love my 4" coil in trashy areas.
Good luck!

I have the Excalibur w/10 inch so no changing it. But I will work with the disc on and see how good it gets. Thanks Bman

Good idea to go over it with discrimination first and hunt the whole site, you might not have time to dig everything. HH and good luck, Mike

Hey Dave,

How old is this house? Is it older than the first one you hunted?

Rod

No, the neighborhood is all about 1948-1958 I would say. If there is a difference it would only be a few years apart one way or the other. The Problem with this one is these people were just pigs and like i said above just buried all there crap or let it rust in to the ground.

Yep,

That makes for a nightmare when it comes to our hobby!

You may have mentioned it already but I'll suggest it anyhow,.....I'd set your disc up high and just go for coins and silver first. Then come back through with the disc a little lower and see what you get, and so on and so on.

I bet your frustrated with the 1000 in all the trash. It's a short fall of having a larger coil, high trash problems. Hard to pinpoint targets.

That discrim set up high should help out quite a bit.

I'll see if I can get down there soon and give ya a hand on all these sites :) ;)

By the way, how are you going about getting permission to hunt all these sites?

Rod

I love to hunt demolition sites... and yeah, they're hard, but you gotta stick with it... when they grate the lot off is when you'll have better luck - yeah, the trash is still gonna be there, but the good stuf will be too, and sometimes right on the surface... I found my best Barber dime by eye that way... picking thru the trash is hard, though - sometimes you just kinda have to dig the crap up and throw it to the side in order to make way for the good stuff... I've found that with my 8" coil, I have to move it really slow for it to disc. out the trash... and I dig everything when I'm on a graed lot - some things I thought were going to be really big turned out to be half- or dollar-sized things... good luck, and keep us posted!

Hey Rod and Robert. Absolutely right. Check my post #5 I agree with the full discrimination at this point. Still being new to this whole thing plus a new detector has been a learning experience.
Robert also I believe you are on to a good point also. Her in Florida the Problem after demo on a residential site is all the window had hundreds of aluminum moving parts. Now most of that gets hauled separately for scrap but an awfully lot gets left. Its interesting though guys that all my finds before the demo so far have been down at 5 - 10 inches so a good scraping is going to do a lot of good . Thanks for the support and Ideas.HH

Floater, there may be another explanation of all the trash. Sometimes a lot is razed, dirt drug around and added then another house is built right on top of what's left.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back