New sand scoop design...

Stone

Feb 26, 2012
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an idea for a design of an all purpose beach scoop. I feel that it is an excellent design and have not seen anything like it being sold on the market. How would I go about making a prototype? Or would it just be easier to sell the design to someone that could produce them? I would give more information about it but I don't feel comfortable disclosing to much information over the Internet.

Take a trip to home depot or scrap yard or wherever you feel the materials for the start of your scoop may be and start piecing it together. Hard to say with no information lol make it and go test in the field! Good luck :icon_thumright:

Have a local metal shop make a prototype for you. Do your testing, make your changes, then patent your design, Should only cost you a few thousand dollars. If you can slap it together by visiting Home Depot, it ain't worth your time and trouble. The beach is HARD on scoops. That is why they are welded steel or aircraft aluminum.

I've thought about the same thing, but for what I've bought the RTG's for I can't see how there's a whole lot of profit unless you did several hundred a month. But by all means go for it! I wish you luck. Like Terry suggest get it prototyped and the patented once you get the kinks worked out.

Have a local metal shop make a prototype for you. Do your testing, make your changes, then patent your design, Should only cost you a few thousand dollars. If you can slap it together by visiting Home Depot, it ain't worth your time and trouble. The beach is HARD on scoops. That is why they are welded steel or aircraft aluminum.
You do know they sell steel at home depot right? maybe its just mine :dontknow:

I wonder if you could use a 3-D printer? Those are really cool and that's what they were designed for rapid prototyping of complex parts that used to take days to machine from raw stock.

Last edited:
Alright my idea was to make the shaft of the handle extendible. It would also be completely removable so a small handle could be added making it a hand scoop. Also the back would be threaded so you could add various caps with different size meshes for sifting.

Good idea, but extendable handles that are strong enough are hard to make. Many have tried, but the reason there aren't any good ones available is that most just can't take the loads required of them. If you could make a strong enough one the world will beat a path to your door. There are already ones on the market that can change from long to short handles. Good luck!! I'd love to have a telescoping handle on mine that would hold up.

Threads and telescopic extensions, tend to get sand inside them that really cause problems. It is very abrasive on moving parts. This is why I don't like submerging my CTX very much. Sand will get in the carbon fiber rod and cause great wear if you extend/retract it before a thorough cleaning.

I have a design for the telescoping handle that would add strength to it. What do you think about the ability to add different sized meshes to the scoop for sifting.

Threads and telescopic extensions, tend to get sand inside them that really cause problems. It is very abrasive on moving parts. This is why I don't like submerging my CTX very much. Sand will get in the carbon fiber rod and cause great wear if you extend/retract it before a thorough cleaning.

Guess I'll need to think of a better way too add the caps on the back and the design I thought of would more than likely take care of the dirt and sand in the telescoping handle. I won't know for sure until I can build and test a prototype.

I have a design for the telescoping handle that would add strength to it. What do you think about the ability to add different sized meshes to the scoop for sifting.

Too small a mesh won't allow for fast sand exiting of the scoop. Many folks just insert a piece of smaller mesh in the bottom of their scoops for dry sand hunting, easy enough to do, doesn't really require much improvement. But make a good handle that can be made smaller for air travel and still be as strong as a one piece handle and you will have a lot of interest in my opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back