🔎 UNIDENTIFIED New rock field after big rain

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
2-6/10” rain overnight. I walked the edge of a field. I found a newly washed out rock field. I see this area weekly and never any rocks in this spot before. I don’t carry my phone much, no field photos. The area is small, about 12 ft long X 3 ft wide. I picked up these rocks as samples. I’m guessing Chert, although I struggle with the Chalcedony, Chert, Jasper thing. There was also a lot of small sandstones chunks. I’m going back later and look for artifacts. I need to creek walk after that rain, but 200 yds of head-high weeds/grass to walk through on the way is stopping me.

Attachments

• IMG_1736.jpeg
    IMG_1736.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1737.jpeg
    IMG_1737.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I need to creek walk after that rain, but 200 yds of head-high weeds/grass to walk through on the way is stopping me.

Sounds like it's time for a bad-assed weed eater to cut a trail though it all. :occasion14:

Upvote 0
Sounds like it's time for a bad-assed weed eater to cut a trail though it all. :occasion14:
I wish. It’s off of a steep embankment. My property ends on top. I have permission to cross land to the creek. Owner is worried an open trail will attract tresspassers.

Upvote 1
I wish. It’s off of a steep embankment. My property ends on top. I have permission to cross land to the creek. Owner is worried an open trail will attract trespassers.

He's probably right about the trespassers, and there's no need to make access easier, especially with deer season coming up soon. They grow some big bucks back there in Iowa.

Upvote 0
He's probably right about the trespassers, and there's no need to make access easier, especially with deer season coming up soon. They grow some big bucks back there in Iowa.
Yes! I still hunt some, but have never been a rack hunter. Does and button bucks taste better; less raging hormones. I shot a heavy 18 pointer my first year. I didn’t keep the rack. LOL. I kinda wish I had now. 👍🏼 The whole deer went into summer sausage and ring bologna due to his size. That was 1986 I believe

Upvote 0
Ditto on the racks..ya can't eat antlers.
eating-02.gif

I'm a traditional bowhunter, and I've taken button bucks, spikes and does, and every one was great eating. Had a shot at a nice 4x4 buck one time, and missed clean, but yeah..first good meat deer I come across gets my tag.

Upvote 0
Ditto on the racks..ya can't eat antlers. View attachment 2098082

I'm a traditional bowhunter, and I've taken button bucks, spikes and does, and every one was great eating. Had a shot at a nice 4x4 buck one time, and missed clean, but yeah..first good meat deer I come across gets my tag.
I made a white oak bow years ago. It was a short model, designed after the bows shot by the Cheyenne from horseback. The grain was too close and very hard to work. It shot ok, but I wish it had been larger grain, like Osage orange. I made the string too. The arrows were aluminum though: Easton. 👍🏼 I now have a Saxon 64”longbow: 70 lbs. @ 28”. I can’t hold the draw as long as I used to! I still have a Bear recurve as well as a Pearson. All left handed and both are 50-55 lb draw.

Attachments

• IMG_1748.jpeg
    IMG_1748.jpeg
    267.7 KB · Views: 13
Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back