NEW PICS ON CLADDAH RING

Rooster

Apr 1, 2005
Long Island N.Y.
HEY GUYS!!!! I TOOK SOME CLOSEUPS OF THE RING I FOUND THE OTHER DAY. I TRIED TO FIND THIS OR SOMETHING CLOSE ON THE NET BUT EVERYTHING LOOKS LIKE NEW GOLD AND NOTHING LOOKS AS OLD AS THIS. I TRIED TO GET AS CLOSE AS I COULD TO THE HALLMARKS TO SEE IF ANY OF TOU GUYS CAN HELP ME OUT AS TO HOW OLD THIS MAY BE AND WHERE IT WAS MADE. YOU GUYS ARE POSTING GREAT STUFF. THANKS FOR ANY HELP AND KEEP ON DIGGIN. THE ROOSTER. P.S. WHAT DO YOU THINK LONEWOLFE?

Attachments

• beach finds 6-16-05 038.jpg
    beach finds 6-16-05 038.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 339
  • beach finds 6-16-05 055.jpg
    beach finds 6-16-05 055.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 366
  • beach finds 6-16-05 056.jpg
    beach finds 6-16-05 056.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 324
Upvote 0
Symbol of Love, Friendship and loyalty.

Worn on the right hand, crown turned inward tells your heart is yet unoccupied, worn with the crown turned outwards reveals love is being considered. Worn on the left hand the crown turned outward shows all, your heart is truly spoken for.

The earliest examples of Claddagh rings that can be dated are stamped with RI, the mark of Richard Joyce, a goldsmith working in Galway circa 1689-1737

Some Marks on Claddagh Rings from the latter part of the 17th to the early part of the 18th century.

CLADDAGH JEWELERS AND THEIR MARKS MARK JEWELER?
RI? RICHARD JOYCE, GALWAY?
GR? GEORGE ROBINSON, GALWAY?
AR? ANDREW ROBINSON, GALWAY?
NB? NICHOLAS BURDGE, GALWAY?
F? AUSTIN FRENCH, GALWAY?
JD RD WD? DILLON?
JS? ?JOHN SHADWELL?
TH? unknown?

What marks are on yours??

With them I can tell you exactly what time period it came from!

Believe me, it's OLD no matter!

I just can't make all the markings out in your pic.

First time I ever saw or heard of such a ring. interesting story. I learn something every day on this forum! JIM

Absolutely awesome find!!

Nana ;)

They are wedding bands, essentially. A lot of Irish people (especially in the west--Galway, Clare, Mayo) wear them. My mom (from Galway) gave me one when I was 12. It finally fits now and I wear it all the time. A nice piece of jewelry. Plus it can be nice going into an Irish bar and knowing who's single and who isn't without having to ask! ;D

Adam
Minneapolis

Nice ring, I don't know the exact age but would say in the last 30 or 40 yrs. I have found some really old rings. Usually the first indication is no carat stamping. Did it turn up at a old site. Did you find any coins to try and match up the time era.

It's still gold and it never gets old finding it. Hope you find alot more.

HH Jeremy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back