Groundhogg

Apr 16, 2022
Franklin, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, X-Terra Pro, Quantum II, DFX, Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I lost the horse farm but picked up a new permission. It is another historic property that I can date back to 1878 on a D. G. Beers map. The owner is awesome and said I'm welcome "anytime". I was a little concerned because in our first meeting she mentioned that someone had already been there. After a few days of hunting I'm no longer concerned. So here it is. The military button was found on the surface. I tried dating it by the back but it is completely rusted out. The red "gem" is actually glass. It was found in the same hole as the 3 ringer and what I believe to be a picture frame. The 3 ringer looks like it has been chewed(?) on by a mouse or some other rodent. I am amazed at the diverse types of ammunition used on the farm over the years. All sorts of other goodies. As a relic hunter its good to be back on a spot with a lot of variety.
Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 20230828_052722.jpg
    20230828_052722.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 87
  • 20230831_090140.jpg
    20230831_090140.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 20230828_060334.jpg
    20230828_060334.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 20230828_053132.jpg
    20230828_053132.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20230828_053850.jpg
    20230828_053850.jpg
    687.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 20230828_053929.jpg
    20230828_053929.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 74
Upvote 20
I lost the horse farm but picked up a new permission. It is another historic property that I can date back to 1878 on a D. G. Beers map. The owner is awesome and said I'm welcome "anytime". I was a little concerned because in our first meeting she mentioned that someone had already been there. After a few days of hunting I'm no longer concerned. So here it is. The military button was found on the surface. I tried dating it by the back but it is completely rusted out. The red "gem" is actually glass. It was found in the same hole as the 3 ringer and what I believe to be a picture frame. The 3 ringer looks like it has been chewed(?) on by a mouse or some other rodent. I am amazed at the diverse types of ammunition used on the farm over the years. All sorts of other goodies. As a relic hunter its good to be back on a spot with a lot of variety.
Thanks for looking.
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Nice variety of finds!
Btw, the loop and shaft item just above the chain is the attachment for a scythe handle. I found one a couple of years ago.

Attachments

• 0224210902.JPG
    0224210902.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
oh yeah that looks like a good spot. You know there are some IHP’s and large cents lurking around. What’s the thing that looks like a tiny keg or barrel?
Oh yeah...I've never found a large cent and literally dream about it.

That barrel goes on a pet's collar. It unscrews from one end and there is a small piece of paper with the owners info on it inside. It was the precursor to the custom aluminium tags you make at the pet stores these days. No whiskey😁

Last edited:
That's a very nice assortment!
Thanks. It's great to be hunting at a home site again. Working in the fields is a true test of patients and with no shade in the summertime in Tennessee stamina.

Looks like its going to be a nice place to hunt for you, good luck!
I appreciate it. I'll take all the luck I can as I'm still in search of that large copper...

Nice finds. For a moment I thought the star charm might be Masonic (Order of the Eastern Star) as they use a 5-pointed star as their main symbol. However the orientation of the star points to the mounting ring of the piece is incorrect for OES. Best wishes in what looks to be a great site.🍀

Nice variety of finds!
Btw, the loop and shaft item just above the chain is the attachment for a scythe handle. I found one a couple of years ago.
Cool! Thanks for the info. I was wondering what that was. I've found pieces of blades before but never one of these. I actually have my dad's old one in the garage. Guess I need to dig out.

Nice finds. For a moment I thought the star charm might be Masonic (Order of the Eastern Star) as they use a 5-pointed star as their main symbol. However the orientation of the star points to the mounting ring of the piece is incorrect for OES. Best wishes in what looks to be a great site.🍀
Thanks! I thought it was a pentagram at first but found out that on a pentagram the star is upside down.

Thanks! I thought it was a pentagram at first but found out that on a pentagram the star is upside down.
I know what you mean, but I believe a pentagram is any 5-pointed, geometric star, regardless of spatial orientation. The down-facing point is often associated with wiccans/occult.
What you have is a pentacle: a pentagram inside of a circle. Is it silver?

I know what you mean, but I believe a pentagram is any 5-pointed, geometric star, regardless of spatial orientation. The down-facing point is often associated with wiccans/occult.
What you have is a pentacle: a pentagram inside of a circle. Is it silver?
Thanks again. I'm always amazed at what we learn from metal detecting. Unfortunately it's not silver but good enough for my "junk jar".

Is that horse at the bottom right made of glass/porcelain? I found one last week but it was broken so I gathered as much of the parts I could hoping to put it together again.

Is that horse at the bottom right made of glass/porcelain? I found one last week but it was broken so I gathered as much of the parts I could hoping to put it together again.
That one is actually plastic of some sort. The one above is made of lead. And, although it's hard to tell, the top piece is also a horse body made of lead as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back