VTSwinger

May 5, 2017
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got the chance to hunt a 1840's farm house that the owner suspected was a rebuild on an older home site. I spent several hours pulling trash with not so much as even a button for my troubles. Every hole seemed to have a giant piece of iron at the bottom making discriminating and even pin pointing near impossible. I decided to leave the area of the house and walked towards the road in hopes of finding an area less riddled with trash. No sooner did the iron targets disappear I get my first tight coin signal. It's a toasted silver! At the time I had no idea what it was, I suspected it was a real but knowing I had less than 30 minutes on the site left, I didn't want to waste any time trying to figure it out. I started doing wider and wider laps around the hole and the next target I dug was a 1803 draped bust cent! I continued to hit the area hard but that's all she had for me that day. My first 1 Real and first draped bust large cent (my oldest US coin to date) within a matter 10 minutes out of 5 hours of hunting. The nature of metal detecting is a weird one.

Is it safe to say that the site is older than the date of the house or would these coins still be in circulation into the 1840's? I know there is no true way of knowing but what's your hunch?

20190609_135729.jpg20190714_083929.jpg20190714_084005.jpg20190715_105019.jpg20190714_084038.jpg20190714_084055.jpg

Upvote 31
I bet there was another home there prior some more hunting could find it out.. Great finds nice pieces of History theres a story there just gotta put it together.

Love the old coins, congrats! :occasion14:

Congratulations in two beautiful firsts! Both are great finds!

VT, congrats on those old silvers and coppers...and not just any old silver or copper, but a half real and a DB LC! And you can RARELY use the date of the house as a precursor to what you're going to find...sure, the house is 150 years old...but that dirt...is old as...well, dirt. You can never tell what you're going to find, that's why I love new (old) permissions. Congrats on your current digs, can't wait to see what else comes out of there! Ddf.

Nice finds. I do think coins were kept longer back then. I have found English and Spanish coins from the mid 1500's at town sites that were not settled until the mid 1600's. I assume they were brought over by the original settlers from England since they did not have wear typical of 100 years of circulation.

Congratulations on your 2 bucket listers. I’ve been lucky enough I find my share of half reals, half dimes, half caps, but I have yet to find that LC and you LC is in my dreams!!! Great job my friend [emoji1360]

Foreign coins were approved usage in the United States until the coinage act of May 2nd, 1857, which also was the last year of production for the large copper cents. I also agree what others have wrote about the house site's age. You have a couple of nice finds. Thanks for sharing !

I'd agree with others the Spanish silver certainly could have been in circulation at that time. That's a nice draped bust too. Not a super uncommon coin but hard to find in identifiable condition... for me at least. My only dateable draped bust is also an 1803. You should look that coin up on the PCGS coinfacts app or website. One version of the 1803 is kind of rare. You may have enough detail to ID which one it is. Congrats on the great coins.

Congrats on your two "firsts". That's a nice pair of coins. Spanish silver was circulated for quite some time in this country. The site date could be accurate.

Awesome finds, you just never know what’s going to pop out of the ground in New England!!! Dig on brother!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back