Greenie
Jan 22, 2017
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,

I'm Kate. My husband and I just started metal detecting today with a Garrett 350. We found a bullet and a flattened piece of lead near a river where there was some civil war activity. The bullet has one groove that goes along the bottom and the base is concave but not very deep. To me it was a similar shape to an Enfield bullet but thats just from me googling. It also may be more modern and just heavily weathered, I don't know. The other thing is just a little chunk of lead to me but someone else may have a more discerning eye. Any help is appreciated, happy hunting! (Sorry if the pictures end up weird, it's through an app I've never used.)

9fe195149892ca8a248627b1b9f361eb.jpg

33e41543d74bdcfb5b5e2a7a4befef6b.jpg

d511a28e690c5ab2521b511e86cdc92b.jpg

091801e2e799b73ac7f04699e82e2735.jpg

68a5fd7649b926bfc427b68554c496c9.jpg

Thanks!
Kate

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Thank you! I am in NW Florida, very close to Alabama. I will check out those other threads too. : )

I have a book you should buy. Amazon used is the way I go. "A handbook of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges" by James E. Thomas.. Best book ever for ID of bullets. If you are just getting in to hunting Civil War relics I consider it a must have.

Hi; First; Greetings from Boston. Welcome to TNet. The first is a Civil War era bullet. I'm not sure the second one. I can't agree with Mackaydon on it being a coin although I do see the cross pattern he is looking at so I'm thinking if it is not a fired bullet that hit something then it may be a type of charm of some type. Again I believe it is Civil War Era ok. Nice finds. Keep it up. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB :icon_thumleft:

That is not a CW bullet. Post 1880 manufacture. The rings have cannelures in them.. little grooves inside the rings. These only appear after 1880.

Best of luck to you!

Virginia digger, thank you for the book recommendation, I will definately check it out!

Thank you for the warm welcomes. I posted the bullet in the ID section and was told it's a .32 from a S&W revolver... and looking closely I do see the little grooves in the ring.

Off to research Spanish cob coins. ; ) Something tells me I probably didn't get that lucky, ha ha!

Thanks everybody, happy hunting!

Welcome to TNet, from Nick in Connecticut! :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back